Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad
Emuchops

moving abroad

We presently live in Pembrokeshire but wet weather getting partner down. I'm looking for any advice on re-locating abroad-not sure which country.
We have no children - partner is a nurse. We have no other languages.
Can anyone make a recommedation on good places to live-not too expensive-all comments appreciated-thanks
gil

A dry part of Canada ?
Australia ?
Emuchops

partner would prefer Europe although Im not bothered---we really do not have a clue and I do not know where to start. Neither of us has any particular knowledge of any area outside of UK..I thought partner being a nurse may may things easierbut I dont know where to start in my research-any advice much appreciated.
Mary-Jane

France is always a good start. My family have all gradually migrated out there over the last 30 years and love it. My brothers are both self-employed and the middle one has made all his money by working in the markets, saving, then buying property to do up into holiday gites.
MarkS

Most of Europe is difficult if you dont speak the local language. Even Holland is getting tricky.

Scandinavia ? But not much cop if you want nice weather.

Is Ireland any drier than Wales ?

We looked at New Zealand and Canada, although we ended up staying in the uk (and currently looking for a house with land in france) depends what you want though.

What do you do ? How easy is it for you to work elsewhere? What interests?
suomi

Oh Mark, what was your comment about Scandanavia!! not much cop if you want good weather....!!! well I will stand up for Scandanavia, we are living in Finland and if you like weather extremes then this is your place.our summer was fab around 28oc for 3 months, a lovely autumn followed by a real winter.
WE have been here since may 2006 and love it... we are learning Finnish, granted not the most easy of languages..... but we have settled in really well and made some wonderful contacts.
We have a small house and half a hectare of land, now hoping to progress to something a little bigger, and we are growing all our own veg and keeping animals. Oh and its so much cheaper than the uk to buy property.
We love it here.. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Maybe you need a visit Smile Smile welcome any time Laughing Laughing
tahir

MarkS wrote:
Scandinavia ? But not much cop if you want nice weather.

The wife's got a cousin that lives in Finland, loves it there. Hungary's supposed to be great (I believe Mochyn's son lives there), Poland should be cheap as chips and the people are nice. My personal favourite is the North of Portugal (north of Oporto)
MarkS

Hi

I did once do some work in Helsinki for Op Kottipanki Oy (if thats spelt anything like right), and yes I loved it. But a bit dark in the winter ? Would that be fair?Laughing
I was taking it that the op wanted a warmer climate. Scandinavia scores because everyone speaks better english than I do.

I would love to go back. I really liked it.
@Calli

MarkS wrote:

Is Ireland any drier than Wales ?

No it's not! But it seems milder than N wales was. Also the language is the same ( Just about Cool ) and the countryside is stunning. You can still find renovation projects allover and the people are great. No council tax either Very Happy

We moved form N Wales about 5 yrs ago and would never go back.
suomi

Yes Mark its definitly fair to say its pretty dark in the winter! the days tend to be short.... however all is not lost as because of the snow it feels much brighter and remember the snow here is DRY.... not slushy and grey like uk snow....
so welcome..... really if anyone would like a visit to Finland just PM me, we would love to have people with willing hands...... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Emuchops

Thankyou for all your comments--this is really helpful. Excuse my ignorance but are we just "allowed" to go and live permanently in another EU country?

I currently work as an advice worker with a charity but i can turn my hand to most jobs. Im sure there used to be some sort of scheme to help qualified nurses to relocate abroad...

We enjoy the great outdors and have 4 dogs,, but finding the dreadfully wet Pembrokeshire weather quite restrictive-partner getting quite depressed by it all and we only moved here 2.5 yrs ago(from the west midlands-I wanted to live by sea)
Behemoth

Yes but investigate the tax and social security situation. Also give serious consideration to whether you may return or not, you may find in a few years that you can't afford to.
MarkS

I know that New Zealand is desperate for UK medical staff. At one point they were paying for people to go over and have a look. check the back of the bmj and I presume the nursing times.
Cheap living, nice countryside, great for outdoors types - esp south island.
On the down side - bit of a cultural desert and the time zone really is -40 years (may as well see how many countries I can insult in one thread Wink )

I think with any move abroad you need to get an understanding of what is going to happen as you get older and need support. As a gross generalisation countries with higher taxes have better support systems.
suomi

I must agree with you Mark,New Zeland is fantastic..especially the south island, and yes it does feel like its 40 years behind the uk, which is wonderful Laughing much more relaxed. Although we felt that its turning into a very large play ground!! hope that doesnt sound too negative!!!
you are right here in Finland we pay high taxes but in return you have a very comprehensive welfare system that really seems to work, no problem getting a dentist here....
there are allways pros and cons where ever you are, so dont go in with your eyes shut, I think lots of research before any desicion is made..... or of course do what we did.... jump straight in.... Laughing Surprised Surprised but we have NO regrets Laughing Laughing
pricey

tahir wrote:

My personal favourite is the North of Portugal (north of Oporto)

Ah tiz mine as well, though we have bought just below.

Have a look at Portugal, the people are very friendly, and the country is just to die for.

We have a little place in Pedrogao Grande, which we are going to convert.

Will try and post some links and forums for you to browse through.
tahir

pricey wrote:
Have a look at Portugal, the people are very friendly, and the country is just to die for.

Deffo
MarkS

Suomi

where abouts are you in Finland?

I must say I would love to go back. At the moment though we are shopping for somewhere in France, which is a bit more accessible from the uk. I have taken the ferry to Norway but its a long journey.

I would like one day to go round the Baltic, so many interesting places. Plus I have never seen a decent display of the northern lights, which I would like to.
boisdevie1

I would say look into it VERY carefully. In most of Europe I suspect that if you can't talk the language then you have NO chance of making a living. I'm not trying to put you off but research very very carefully. Just because it's another country it doesn't automatically mean that it's easy. In fact with language and cultural differences it can be many times more difficult.
I've been living in France for 6 years. My French is very good. I can't find a half way decent job here thanks to the terrible state of the local economy. That's why I'm off to the UK tomorrow to work. And I could name lots of other brits in France who do the same.
MarkS

well, fortunately I wont need to make a living - which makes things easier!

Although I have in the past worked for a couple of French IT companies (do Groupe Bull still even exist?) and Alstom.
suomi

Hi Mark,

we are about 360km northEast of Helsinki. 12km north of Savonlinna,right amongst the lakes.. at present we have a small house on just over a hectare, however we are looking at another property that has 13 hectares. so plenty of room for animals and growing veg. Laughing and a larger house for people to stay in. we are trying to encourage more english people to come to finland, dispel the many myths!!
So welcome at any time Smile Smile Smile Ryan air now fly into Tampere and from thewre its train or bus straight to us. its also fun to travel overland from the uk,train or euro lines coaches.
Douglas in Transilvania

How about trying transilvania

Transylvania has lots to offer to downsizers. We are trying to attract people to come here. Our website is up and running (just). www.liltrans.co.uk. It may not be too easy at first. but the rewards for those who persevere may be great.
jayemen

Re: moving abroad

Emuchops wrote:
We presently live in Pembrokeshire but wet weather getting partner down. I'm looking for any advice on re-locating abroad-not sure which country.
We have no children - partner is a nurse. We have no other languages.
Can anyone make a recommedation on good places to live-not too expensive-all comments appreciated-thanks

Laughing Very Happy hi just joined downsizer we moved to Normandy France 6 months ago it is wondweful jayemen
tahir

I thought you might be J A from Yemen Laughing

Welcome aboard.
jean

moving abroad

I would strongly advise anybody who is thinking of moving to europe to spend some time in the country where they are thinking of going try and Rent first before you buy and don't beleave everything the estate agents tell you. If you by a finca with a casa on it Make sure it is Legal,see all the paperwork for the house, friends of ours bought land with a small casa for reform. rebuilt the house 5yrs ago and have now been told to demolish it.
Douglas in Transilvania

jean wrote:
I would strongly advise anybody who is thinking of moving to europe to spend some time in the country where they are thinking of going try and Rent first before you buy

We are currently buying property in Transylvania, which will be rented to downsizers who are thinking of moving here. We are involved in negotiations to buy traditional houses which are currently empty. We speak the language and have a lawyer and accountant we trust. The properties generally have very complicated inheritance rights and for this reason noone is prepared to touch them. We are trying to sort these out (a process of years in some cases) so the property can be rented completely legally. We will help renters to buy their own property if they come here and want to stay. If you think you might want to move to Transylvania in a couple of years time get on our mailing list through our website. We are doing this to save traditional buildings and preserve the 'peasant' low impact lifestyle.
Went

Asturias in Northern Spain is a great place with all year round temperate climate and cheap land. The language may be a problem though unless you are prepared to learn Spanish - saying that, the people are great and will welcome you if you try and speak their language and join in their customs and traditions.
catalyst

yes, central portugal is the best... no nuclear, unspoilt landscape, cheap smallholdings normally with decent water supplies, shopping is relatively cheap, people are friendly...
and so on...

check out:
www.pureportugal.co.uk
Green Man

You would get into N.Z.with your wife's qualifications I think. (property has boomed in last year)
wellington womble

Double check if your wife can register as a nurse in NZ. They often have quite strict rules about who qualifies for medical registration outside the EU (where you can register even you are a load of rubbsih and barely speak english, I find!) I can't remember which way round it is - I think NZ is easier than Aus (which is really hard for Physios trained here - a lot of new juniors have tried to go over cos of the employment crisis over here. Actually, I think to go to NZ you have to worked in a paid position here for a year, but Aus is a lot harder. Could be wrong - I've never considered the possibility myself)

Oh - Italy would get my vote, but I don't really do heat very well, so I don't think we're likely to get further than planning to downsize abroad over a glass of wine at the end of particularly long and tiring day!)
Vanessa

Douglas in Transilvania wrote:

The properties generally have very complicated inheritance rights and for this reason noone is prepared to touch them. We are trying to sort these out (a process of years in some cases)

Surely this is a very good reason why NOT to move to Transilvania?!! If the inheritance laws are that complex, who in their right mind would choose to have assets there? Rolling Eyes
Green Man

If you want to be 'Green' research the country to see if it is both self sufficient in food and water. Idea
NannyP

Be careful......moving to a foriegn country with no language skilss can be very isolating.....so, you may have better weather but you and/or your partner may find it depressing to feel cut off by language. Being depressed in Pembrokeshire will be easier that being depressed in France.
The unemployment rate in France is high, and if you are non French speaking, finding a job will be more or less impossible.
Emuchops

thankyou everyone for your replies. Still in Pembrokeshire but putting house on market-STILL no idea where we are going-also got 4 dogs to consider-they will have to get passports etc. We were considering Crete, but a lot of dog poisoning going on there. Current favourites are Malta, Puglia, Calabria-somewhere cheap so that decently paid work is not such an issue... does anyone have any experience of Malta or S Italy?
Contadino

Hi,

I live in Puglia, towards the south of the Val d'Itria. Forgive me for being blunt, but unless you're fluent in Italian and a local dialect, you haven't got a hope of finding work (as in a job) here. I've just managed to get my first gardening client through a recommendation by a local, after nearly 2 years of living here.

From what I've heard, any professional qualifications are worthless. So many industries are regulated here, and the regulation in itself is a fund-raising exercise for government. Healthcare is certainly one of these industries.

Life is wonderful here, but it's very, very hard to make a living in the local economies if you're local, and nigh on impossible for us stranieri.

Sorry for the negative post. My first on this forum too.

Ciao ciao,

Jeremy.

[Edit] ...and the poisoning of dogs is rife here too. There were 30 cases in our local town last Autumn.
tahir

Welcome on board Jeremy
New Brunswick

Atlantic Canada without a doubt. We came to New Brunswick and it is beautiful and people are so friendly. Moved here March 07 and have no regrets. they always need medical staff. Atlantic side is cheaper to live but wages are lower, western side higher wages higher cost of living. depends what you want. if you want to geta shock and look at house prices and what you get for your money then look at

mls.ca I think all houses are multiple listed and so you can see whats around otherwise Exit, Rality 21, Hawkins NB real estate. worth looking.....
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home