Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Mushroom ID - fairy ring in meadow

Looking at the sticky on this board I think it might be Fairy Ring Mushroom (Marasmius oreades), but then the notes say there are similar scary ones out there Surprised

What should I look for to distinguish the tasty version please?

Jamanda

I'd be interested to hear too. I know where a great quantity of what I think are FRMs grow every year but I've never been brave enough to try them.
floorlord

NorthernMonkeyGirl, you are right to be cautious. The fairy ring mushroom doesn't usually appear until August so it's very early if that's what you've found. But it certainly looks like one and if it is, it's edible. Does it smell like prussic acid? If so that's most likely what it is. The gill spacing is right but I can't really tell (digital effect, you can't reproduce colour anything like perfectly) the colour from the photo. Nothing we can do about that.

The meadow-growing one it could be confused with is poisonous and appears earlier (not this early) but its gills are much more tightly packed than in your photo, its stipe (trunk/stem) is more brittle and there is a sort of glazed effect on its cap.

This is NOT a recommendation, but the way I would tend to treat it would be to take a very small piece and taste it. I take chances like that if I know the poisonous version isn't deadly. The thing to do is take a small enough, quick enough bite to check the overall effect - sweet, acidic, flowery, mushroomy, whatever, then immediately spit it all out. If it's really obnoxious that's a clue it is probably not edible! Shocked

Do not swallow when trying this.
wildfoodie

it looks very like fairy ring champignon to me - marasmius oreades. edible and good. not the stems tho, they're tough and chewy.
the gills are wide spaced and free, - ie detached from the stem.
the deadly clitocybe dealbata which grows in similar situations has decurrent gills -ie running down the stem.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

I don't know what prussic acid is...!

They smell mainly mushroomy (!) with a whiff of almond. In other words - nice!

I'm in Northants if that affects the timing, we've been having alternate summer and monsoon weeks Laughing
Jamanda

From Wikipedia

"faint, bitter, almond-like odor that only some people are able to detect"

The almond smell seems ecouraging.
bubble

NorthernMonkeyGirl, you are right to be cautious. The fairy ring mushroom doesn't usually appear until August so it's very early if that's what you've found. But it certainly looks like one and if it is, it's edible. Does it smell like prussic acid? If so that's most likely what it is. The gill spacing is right but I can't really tell (digital effect, you can't reproduce colour anything like perfectly) the colour from the photo. Nothing we can do about that.

The meadow-growing one it could be confused with is poisonous and appears earlier (not this early) but its gills are much more tightly packed than in your photo, its stipe (trunk/stem) is more brittle and there is a sort of glazed effect on its cap.

This is NOT a recommendation, but the way I would tend to treat it would be to take a very small piece and taste it. I take chances like that if I know the poisonous version isn't deadly. The thing to do is take a small enough, quick enough bite to check the overall effect - sweet, acidic, flowery, mushroomy, whatever, then immediately spit it all out. If it's really obnoxious that's a clue it is probably not edible! Shocked

Do not swallow when trying this.
The fairy ring mushroom grows as early as May till October with middle of the flush and most fruiting bodies June /July.Your mushrooms look like FRM's the biscuity colour non-decurent gills dark stem base growing in a circle are all pointers there are more id features ie spores spore print etc. I've been picking and eating FRM's for at least 20 years.
floorlord

From your description of how they smell I'd give 'em a try. 'E sez enviously. The only edible mushroom seen around here in the past two or three weeks is jelly ear. Sad Perhaps I should look down instead of up. Laughing

As wildfoodie said, just use the caps. Saves pulling the stalks out later when you find they don't enhance the experience one little bit.
fungi2bwith

They look like fairy ring champinon to me and the smell is right. Incidently I found these as early as March this year.
wildfoodie

FRMs occur round here from April until first frosts. they seem to need alternating periods of wet and warmth to fruit well. Have to say I've never noticed the almondy smell before, but I have been picking and eating them for at least 20 years....

I too would be interested to know what prussic acid smells like....
sean

Prussic acid smells like almonds. It's the old name for Hydrogen Cyanide.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

did you have to mention cyanide? Laughing

I have nibbled and spat, and am still alive. Tasty, actually. Very...mushroomy.... Rolling Eyes

Think I'll be brave and go a-gathering tomorrow Very Happy
wildfoodie

Quote:
Think I'll be brave and go a-gathering tomorrow

it's worth breaking a couple of caps to check how sound they are. last batch I found after heavy rain were riddled with maggot holes.
Minamoo

Quote:
Think I'll be brave and go a-gathering tomorrow

it's worth breaking a couple of caps to check how sound they are. last batch I found after heavy rain were riddled with maggot holes.

Soooooo many of the ones I've found before now have been riddled with maggots. I've noticed that you don't necessarily need to break the caps open to see the maggots, you can actually see them through the caps! If you see any lighter coloured lines on the cap of the mushroom, it's the maggot tunnels underneath. I put a load of fine looking ones in a bowl of salt in preparation for pickling some years ago and when I came back to check on them, the salt had drawn lots of tiny maggots out of the shrooms. They were so small that I hadn't noticed them at all before. There have been loads of rings of them around here. Might go out and pick some when this damn migraine goes away. Mad
wildfoodie

with experience you can tell by the feel of them - the maggoty caps are softer and more pulshy (? is that a word?)
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home