Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
themoron

Mushroom ID please - horse?

Hi folks, an ID if you will.

I just found this in my local dog walking field. It normally yields horse mushrooms and field mushrooms. I thought it was a horse at first but this fellow has a very large stem and the cap is more wavy than the normal plate-like horse mushrooms.

The short grass field is near the coast, with sandy soil. Nearest trees are 1/4 mile away.

Cap diameter: 6.5"
Stem diameter: 3"
Height: 4"
Cap colour: Cream and golden brown (like a white cottage loaf)
Stem colour: White/Cream
Gill colour: pale pink/peach

OtleyLad

Its pretty similar to a horse mushroom - here's what Rogers example shows.

The gills look quite pale though. Here's a similar but bad one.

Check that yours doesn't stain yellow when bruised or cut.
themoron

Thanks for the reply.

There's definitely no staining so not a yellow stainer I don't think. I'm still not happy to say it's a horse though. Confused
bubble

looks as if it comes out of a volva[rems of veil] ,perhaps an amanita ,def. not a horse mushroom and not an agaricus species.Send a picture to fungi to be with [a website] for an i.d.its a difficult one !!![lepiota leucothites ?]
themoron

I dear really? I've messaged Fungi to be with so I might hopefully get a positive ID. I'm also doing a spore print.

Thanks
crofter

I thought it looked like a stainer... What does it smell like?
themoron

It doesn't smell of very much at all. A bit grassy maybe? Confused
wildfoodie

Quote:
perhaps an amanita

Istr all amanitas have white gills- don't think this is one.
robins

Bubble says not Agaricus and who am I to argue but my immediate reaction was fairly young Agaricus Macrosporus.
themoron

Andy from 'Fungi be with' thinks agaricus too. As the risk was too high, I popped him back where I found him to hopefully spore and live on.

Thanks for all the help.

James
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home