Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Jonnyboy

Mushroom quiz?

Just to relay a phone call

'We picked a carrier bag of various mushrooms yesterday! they are hung on your front door, can you identify them for me?'

'er, can you put them somewhere else so the kids don't eat them'

I have no idea what's in the bag, hopefully they are all edible but it sounds a pretty mixed lot.

If I post some pictures anyone fancy an identification quiz?
cab

Go for it.

It's a shame they're not annotated with notes on where they were found!
Jonnyboy

I can give notes on location, what sort of stuff would you like? time of day, weather, nearby trees, ground cover?
cab

Jonnyboy wrote:
I can give notes on location, what sort of stuff would you like? time of day, weather, nearby trees, ground cover?

Type of tree is the most important factor. Whether the ground is marshy or general habitat is handy (is it a fen, is it from a woodland, is it from a field, that kind if thing).
Jonnyboy

Righty ho, I'll ask
dougal

Re: Mushroom quiz?

Jonnyboy wrote:
Just to relay a phone call

'We picked a carrier bag of various mushrooms yesterday! ...

Just a side-note.

*Plastic* carrier bags are far from ideal for transporting mushrooms.
Quite apart from getting all jumbled together, usually with soil, they do tend to "sweat" in plastic and go limp, etc.
None of which makes an ID any easier...
A large but shallow basket is pretty good, and that's why its traditional.
Northern_Lad

Jonnyboy wrote:

Latin names of said fungi? Then I could join in too!
Behemoth

I got a couple of mushrooms on a walk this lunchtime. Thought I'd look at Roger Philps site to ID them only to find it blocked by work as being "inappropriate or offensive" Sad
cab

Behemoth wrote:
I got a couple of mushrooms on a walk this lunchtime. Thought I'd look at Roger Philps site to ID them only to find it blocked by work as being "inappropriate or offensive" Sad

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/DisplayBlock~bid~6601.asp
Behemoth

They still don't like it. I'll just have to wait til I get home. Maybe do some work instead.
dougal

Somehow, I just thought cab's link might point to phallus impudicus.

For the delicate sensitivities of Behemoth's employers, victorian books are said to have pictured it upside down... Embarassed
Behemoth

there's no problem looking at the Knobs and Knockers website though.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home