Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
nerion

Mushrooms ID please!

Hi folks,

Went foraging today and got a good supply of blackberries, sloes and haws.

I also saw some mushrooms and would like an ID please.

Here they are:

99.9% sure these are chanterelles. They smell wonderfully of apricots and, well, look like chanterelles!

Not sure about those below though (and before anyone says anything, I'm not going to eat them)!

These two were huge! About four inches diameter. Well past their best though, even if edible.

Found two of these. The second had gills on both the underside and the top. Very odd!

Again, past their best. Crimson caps. Thanks in advance!
nerion

PS Pretty sure the first ones are NOT chanterelles now - wrong colour and they have a distinct cap and stem. Anyone know what they are? As I said, they did smell strongly of apricots.
wildfoodie

chanterelles have gills that run down the stem - decurrent in the id books. I don't think these are chanterelles but couldn't say for sure.

the big white ones with the yellow and red cap cuticles are russulas - don't know much about them except that taste is important in id for this family. often hot and radishy or peppery - even edible ones! I think most red coloured russulas in the uk are inedible but there are at least 2 yellow ones that are edible. Much prized in Russia I understand.
Went

Can I ask why do you pick them if you have no intention of eating them? Genuine question as I would have thought it inappropriate...but I might be wrong... Confused
Bebo

Can I ask why do you pick them if you have no intention of eating them? Genuine question as I would have thought it inappropriate...but I might be wrong... Confused

Probably because you can't ID them properly without doing a spore print and to do that you have to pick them?
Went

Probably because you can't ID them properly without doing a spore print and to do that you have to pick them?

It'd be good to see the spore print then - Pics?
Northern Boy

Definitely NOT Chanterelles! (Tho I don't know what they are). Chanterelles are interesting - a lot of things look a little bit like them, but once you've found real chanterelles, you'll never mistake anything else for them (not even false chanterelles).

Large Yellow/red capped ones (third and last two pics) are Russulas. Figuring out precisely which Russlas (Russulae?) is always tough and, as far as I am aware, generally not worth it.
nerion

What Bebo said. Plus, I thought the first ones were chanterelles at first, so we were planning to eat them. Checked them out when we got home though and realised they're not - yet that smell of apricots is unmistakeable.

Thanks for the replies so far. Anyone know what the other kinds are? By the way, they were all found in deciduous woodland in Cheshire.

Not done a spore print but will try later.
hedgehogpie

5th shot down could possibly be an over the hill common deceiver. Possibly.

Your weird fungi is a great illustration of how distorted some can get while growing and is almost certainly two that got fused together at an early stage.

I don't touch russulas on account of the difficulty in separating the edibles from the toxic but they're always fun to find on account of the vast array of rainbow colours they come in.
bubble

5th shot down could possibly be an over the hill common deceiver. Possibly.

Your weird fungi is a great illustration of how distorted some can get while growing and is almost certainly two that got fused together at an early stage.

I don't touch russulas on account of the difficulty in separating the edibles from the toxic but they're always fun to find on account of the vast array of rainbow colours they come in. 5th from top could well be INOCYBE PATTOUILARDI one of the most TOXIC associated with beech on chalk!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Nerion you should join a group to learn slowly,BUT, with your performance on Downsizer do not attempt to ingest any wild mushrooms ,using books ,forums and the internet.I've resisted replying but not anymore!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy hedgehogpie

It could, but I'm not convinced by the cap shape (much much more detail needed in the photographs, such as a shot of the gills & a section for one thing).

But of course you are right Bubble, these are not things to be experimented with lightly and getting opinions from a forum is only ever going to give you that - an opinion.

There's a saying about foragers. 'There are old ones, and there are bold ones. But there are very few old AND bold ones.'
jamanda

And there's quite few who never came back! nerion

I know, I know. As I said right at the start, I didn't eat any of them. Would like to be much more educated before I start eating mushrooms.

Had lots of fun with plant foraging though and made some cracking stuff with wild garlic, elderflower, jack by the hedge, nettles etc. Made an ace mussels mariniere on Sunday with foraged mussels as well. Baby steps with the mushies - I know! Wink
nerion

PS Does anyone have any idea about the mushies in the top two pics - the ones I thought were chanterelles because of the apricot smell?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home