Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Jam Lady

Mushrooms in New Jersey

Hurricane Irene and the following Wednesday's deluge have really encouraged mushrooms to pop up. Profusely.

On Tuesday I went over to a friend's place. We had found wonderful hen of the woods in 2009, nothing at all last year. Even though it's a couple of weeks earlier than when we found them in 2009 (mid-September compared to a week into October) they're back again, this year.

http://www.bellewood-gardens.com/2011/Maitake_2011-09.html

Of course I shared with friends. And today one of those friends stopped by with some hedgehog mushrooms. I've never had them before. She said that they haven't been making an appearance for several years. Must be all the rain. Glad it was good for something besides a wet basement!

Jam Lady

Here's how I prepared the hedgehog mushrooms last night.

Dice and saute a couple of shallots in a tablespoon of olive oil.

When they soften and become transparent add about 8 fingerling potatoes. I used Yellow Finn so cut them in chunky rounds. Toss and stir for a couple of minutes to start them cooking. Add two crushed cloves of garlic. Turn heat down, cover skillet, and let cook for about 15 minutes. Shake pan every now and then so the potatoes don't stick.

Coarsely dice hedgehog mushrooms after brushing them clean of any dirt.

When potatoes are fork tender scrape into a bowl. Add mushrooms to skillet but do not add any more oil. Sprinkle with salt. Cook, stirring frequently. Mushrooms will give off a lot of liquid.

When liquid almost completely evaporated return potatoes to pan and stir to mix with mushrooms.

Season to taste - fresh ground pepper, chopped thyme, parsley for color and flavor.

Enjoy.
bubble

we are waiting for the invite!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home