Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Rob R

Mutton

I had another person turn down the chance of mutton in favour of lamb today - I find it so odd that lamb is popular but veal is not. That said I think it's all in the name & that I could change the labels on mutton without incident.
dpack

i recon i should go on a mutton selling mission

sheep get better(in a kitchen sense) with maturity

i have nearly eaten the last one Laughing
Pilsbury

I think it's in the name, see if you can get away with labelling it field matured lamb and watch it fly.
Nick

Used To Be Lamb.
Rob R

I wonder what the legalities are calling it lamb - they didn't take too kindly to horse in place of beef, but the DNA wouldn't be any different in this case... scratch
Nick

Beef and lamb is clear cut, but I can't see anything that differentiates between lamb and mutton, which is odd.
sean

Call it Lamb Plus.
Rob R

Call it Lamb Plus.

thumbright
Nicky cigreen

sell it to people who prefer the taste of mutton
Behemoth

Traditionally aged lamb.
Lamb in a dress.
Slow finished lamb.
Large lamb.
dpack

large lamb Rolling Eyes

i recon it might be as simple as get some on the telly .last week tom kerridge cooked sprout tops,2 days later my and the g'pigs favorite greens were sold out ,huff,stamps small feet on lodge roof etc .

edit for a ps,

sheep is popular with curry makers but i have issues with less than perfection with halal slaughter.done as well as it can be it is kind ,however sheep is not seen as a premium product (and is often dressed as lamb)

shifting lots might not be as good as shifting some top quality" large lamb"

and pps .

the last one i had needed to be cooked in one go due to a freezer trauma and even frozen as roasted leg it is tasty and tender if slow thawed in the fridge .i suspect one problem is the perception that mutton is tough ,slow roasted it is as tender as a very tender thing.
Rob R

i suspect one problem is the perception that mutton is tough ,slow roasted it is as tender as a very tender thing.

Tough and/or difficult to cook.

Our method of cooking tends to be "show meat some heat, remove when done" no faff, no problem.
dpack

mine is cook slowly(start hot then reduce to about 160/150fan. times are variable but leg 70 mins a kilo smaller bits maybe 50 mins a kilo,cook it till it is cooked ) ,rest a while (again the bigger the bit the longer the rest) .

carve in thin slices with a very sharp knife for butties or as slabs for eating hot with all the roast dinner stuff

another way with a leg or shoulder is boiling,well poaching is a better description ,wrap it in "mutton cloth"and give it 2 hrs plus an hour a pound

mutton chops are 2 to 4 portions and roast like a rib of beef

yum stuff .
Solorn

I've actually searched for it where I live but it's not been easy to find. I have one more butcher to try then I may have to order it in. I love it slow cooked with red currant jelly Smile Ty Gwyn

The taste of Lamb and Mutton is totally different,

That is,to someone that know`s the difference.
Rob R

We had a customer come to the farm the other day because we have mutton. I'm still amazed by the number of times I'm asked specifically about the availability of mutton though, how it's so hard to find and then they never actually order any. I guess that's why you can't get it anywhere else. Ty Gwyn

You`d have more chance of finding mutton in any of the big cites than out in the country,
That`s where the majority of the fat killing ewes end up.
Nick

Booker carry it routinely. Behemoth

And Booker are? Rob R

And Booker are?

My best customers...

...no, not really. They're a cash & carry.
Slim

I prefer mutton.

I had a friend raising sheep who would get mad at her meat cutter for sending the cuts back marked "lamb" as they were over 1 year old, the age at which she said it was illegal to call them lamb any more. Also, she was proud of her mutton, and didn't want to feel like she was trying to slip it through as something it wasn't!

Definitely a customer education problem more than anything here.
Nick

And Booker are?

My best customers...

...no, not really. They're a cash & carry.

The people who supply an awful lot of caterers, pubs, restaurants and independent shops with their supplies.
Hairyloon

Is this why it is unusal to find a lamb curry anywhere? Almost always they are described as "meat". Nick

Is this why it is unusal to find a lamb curry anywhere? Almost always they are described as "meat".

That has always been my thought.
dpack

curry a pound
meat curry two pounds
named meat curry three pounds
Laughing

ps rob's kerry hill mutton is superb and available nation wide Wink
sean

One of the curry houses in Torrington specifies mutton. I suspect that they assume that most people in a rural area know what it is and are going to be ok with it. sean

I prefer mutton.

I had a friend raising sheep who would get mad at her meat cutter for sending the cuts back marked "lamb" as they were over 1 year old, the age at which she said it was illegal to call them lamb any more. Also, she was proud of her mutton, and didn't want to feel like she was trying to slip it through as something it wasn't!

Definitely a customer education problem more than anything here.

Though that would be hogget. It's not mutton until it's over 2 years old I think.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home