Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
joanne

My honey is.....

....now stocked by our local Deli http://thewineyard.wordpress.com/

I've just sold 24 jars to them & they want as much as I can provide - I need more bee's!
gardening-girl

Love the labels Jo!
gil

That's excellent, Jo ! Love the labels and the leaflet design.
Hope you've got enough left for you and yours !
Jo S

That's fantastic news wav
Tavascarow

Well done.
Love the 'only air miles'.
Will be filching that one. Wink
Time to build some top bar hives & set up an out apiary, then you can say 'naturally produced unpasteurised'.
with a brief description of the difference between natural & conventional, no foundation, no chemical treatments, sugar feeding etc.
Should command a much higher price in the shops.

Smile
joanne

Thanks folk - Actually these bees came through the winter without being treated or being fed - the only thing I've given them is the foundation - the varroa drop is remarkably low - I think that is why they have been so strong
SandraR

cheers Brilliant well done.
Nicky cigreen

well done Smile
lottie

Lovely Labels---every beekeeper on here will be pinching the airmiles idea Embarassed
pookie

Fantastic! well done Jo! Very Happy
Lorrainelovesplants

I was astounded at the price of local honey recently (when i visited Mole valley) - £6 per 1lb jar!

I was going to sell this years crop at £4.50 but will now be joining on the bandwagon......

Love the labels...did you do them yourself? Im waiting for labels from thorne's....boring ones Neutral
chez

Lovely, Jo!
joanne

Yeah the labels are my own design - I wanted something that looked classy but olde worlde at the same time - I find the thornes ones far too fussy for my liking
frewen

That's fantastic Cool and I like the labels too - esp the air miles bit Smile
Lorrainelovesplants

had a look at the Deli website - they are pretty good at marketing! I think your honey will be off the shelves in no time!

keep coming back to your labels......so good! Did you just print them at home using normal printer ink? I used to do egg labels like this, but they smear if they get rained on.....
joanne

Yeah I just use inkjet ink - they do smear if they get wet but that's not something that happens that much so it's not really a problem
gil

The solution for label ink that runs is to use cheapo hairspray as a fixative once the ink has dried.
Lorrainelovesplants

What a good tip...... Laughing I will use that!
jamanda

Here's mine. Slightly less professional looking, but I have no intention of selling any. (There's some more in a plastic bucket waiting to become mead too)

joanne

Still looking good though Mandy - Why none to sell?
jamanda

I didn't get round to splitting them, so only one hive's worth - but as you can see, they've been busy! So there's enough for us and for presents, but not to sell.
joanne

Ah right understand completely - you may get a bit more from them though up to the end of August - fingers crossed
jamanda

jocorless wrote:
Ah right understand completely - you may get a bit more from them though up to the end of August - fingers crossed

Yes. I have another super on. I'll have a look towards the end of the week.
mochasidamo

Yes, agreed, well done Smile. Tiny thing though...get rid of the apostrophe from bee's....and it will be just perfect.
Monki magic

Balsam honey

Harvested my balsam honey 2 weeks ago and got 80lb from my 2 hives. The demand at work was so great I used 1/2lb jars for £3 or 2 for £5. Everyone is raving about it's the best honey they have ever tasted (well of course it it) not like shop bought rubbish. Set each hive up as brood and half which are now full of stores so should not even need to feed.

Also tried api var life for first time this year so see how that goes. Let's hope we all get through the winter
joanne

I don't have much to take off now to be honest - mainly because I ended up with swarming from hell - I must have had 12+ swarms from 3 colonies - it was my fault I made a mistake putting the 2nd brood chamber on as I split the nest instead of just putting one frame up - sent them into uber swarm mode combined with the June gap meant they became very grumpy - so I couldn't get near them to sort the problem out - another compelling reason for moving to top bar or Warre if I can improve my DIY skills

Anyway they are fine now - temperament back to the normal happy laid back bees I had before just not much Honey to show for the summer - they've enough for themselves but I've only abt one super to take offs

However I've still had a good year - first time I've sold bees on and I sold 3 strong nucs plus the honey from spring and I've learnt a valuable lesson - one mistake I'll never make again

I did notice yesterday that they are still bringing in loads of bright yellow pollen - absolutely laden down with they are at the moment - no idea what they are working
Monki magic

Don't know what the yellow pollen is. The balsam is White/off White and bees are covered in it like lcing sugar.
oliver90owner

Don't know what the yellow pollen is

Likely ivy, although perhaps not 'bright' yellow. But I am a bit colour-blind.

Regards, RAB
Went

Lorrainelovesplants wrote:
I was astounded at the price of local honey recently (when i visited Mole valley) - £6 per 1lb jar!

I was going to sell this years crop at £4.50 but will now be joining on the bandwagon......

Neutral

So the 75 kilos we have just bought locally at 4.50 Euros a kilo is good value then.
broandy

joanne wrote:

I did notice yesterday that they are still bringing in loads of bright yellow pollen - absolutely laden down with they are at the moment - no idea what they are working

It will be Ivy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home