Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
dpack

my self supporting bush tomatoes have collapsed

probably due to the amount of fruit on them.

the fruit is still green i recon on the plant would be best but pick em and do the banana trick is possible

my question is try to prop up the fallen ,or just make em comfortable lying down? or pick em and go from there?
what do you folk think?
OtleyLad

Re: my self supporting bush tomatoes have collapsed

probably due to the amount of fruit on them.

the fruit is still green i recon on the plant would be best but pick em and do the banana trick is possible

my question is try to prop up the fallen ,or just make em comfortable lying down? or pick em and go from there?
what do you folk think?

If the stems haven't actually snapped then I'd try and prop them up. If they are protected from frost they will keep ripening on the plant into November/December.
I've has good results ripening green toms on a plate in the conservatory (we don't grow bananas in Otley yet).
Mistress Rose

The main danger of leaving them lying down is slugs and snails, but if you can prevent them damaging the plants and more importantly the fruit, I would leave at least some on the plant. They may even grow a bit more.
dpack

thanks folks ,i will give them a close look and take it from there .
dpack

they are now self sprawling tomatoes Laughing

the stems were ok so with a bit of untangling and propping they are now wide and flat ,a lot of fruit for the foot print(expanded polystyrene fish box)
Tavascarow

Anyone tried overwintering cuttings to get an early start?
I know Charles Downing does it.
Just roots side shoots.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home