Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
mousjoos

My young goose seems to have given up laying

As per title really.........

Young goose born/hatched this Spring

Found 7 eggs in the time we've had her (a few weeks), 3 normal as you'd expect, 4 unfinished ie soft/unfinished shell

She seems now to have thrown in the towel & given up, as have found no evidence of nesting or even trying to lay, so my question would be

"did she just give up, or is there an initial trial period during which she gets the hang of it (or not), & develops any technique that geese acquire during their lifetime ?"

Thanks in advance
Kariana

I don't think there's anything wrong, it just sounds like she's come out of lay for winter. You sometimes get soft shelled eggs around that time. She might not start again till spring.
Lorrainelovesplants

When we had geese they only started laying in May and stopped a couple of months on.
alison

Usually geese start laying on VAlentines day, for about 10 - 12 weeks., so I would think thi s pattern is a bonus, and not unusual.
mousjoos

Thank you all....that explains a lot
mousjoos

In fact, small goose has continued laying after the initial hiccup; she produces about 1 in 3 "proper eggs ie hard shell, at a rate of about 1 a week

Last egg was 4 inches & a triple yolker

How common are triple yolkers amongst geese ?
Shan

I have never had one. I think it might have to do with the irregularity of her laying... a bit like chickens when they first start laying.
mousjoos

we thought this...presumably things change as she gets older
Shan

Should do. Ours all come into lay about February and lay for a few months then stop. They get ultra aggressive over the laying period.
TTouch Homestead

Ours also only lay seasonally. No eggs here till Feb time. Boys heading to the freezer soon...and the start of pairing them off again to ensure the right ones, do the right thing, to the right goose!

Hope Spike is behaving himself Shan
Shan

He is absolutely lovely! He did get a bit annoyed though when he discovered that the Muscovy ducks can fly and he can barely get a foot off the ground..... on a downslope.....with a lot of flapping.... most embarrassing in front of his girls! Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home