Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Treacodactyl

Mystery Suillus?

I found these today, on heather heathland near some young pine trees. The older ones were riddle with maggots and the flush blue-black in places when cut which then fades. The closest I can find is Suillus variegatus. It smells quite strong and is very firm. No red so unlikely to be at all dodgy so I'll try one tonight. Spore print in progress.
Treacodactyl

Spore print a dark olive colour and no reaction after 24 hours. Not the best tasting shrooms though.
wildfoodie

I always dry boletes - the flavour is much more developed than when fresh.
cab

Spore print doesn't really fit for that species. Phillips and Jordan both list the spore print as browner than that. Mysterious.

Can't immediately offer a better ID. Are any of the Suillus species olive spored?
Treacodactyl

No idea what "snuff brown" looks like, which is a bit of a problem. There's also a chance it's not in the books. On a different note it still seems too dry for Ceps round here.
cab

Doesn't match any Suillus in either Phillips or Jordan; could be a wierd one, I suppose. I'd have sampled a bit, then dried it, stored it, and never concerned myself beyond the fact that it's clearly edible Smile

It'd be nice living somewhere that ceps grew; wet or dry, we don't get 'em. At least not that I've found round here.
dpack

dont know but id give them the taste it curve or maybe check further .
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home