Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Brownbear

Name that serpent....

Someone has called to say that she is being terrorised by a serpent in her home.... can anyone identify the thing from this pic she sent?

misty07

grass snake/ adder?
Lorrainelovesplants

Its definately a serpent...not a slowworm......
Id suggest adder, but not 100%
mochyn

Hard to tell from that pic. How big is it? Does it have zig-zags/diamonds on its back?

ETA having just looked at pics of both it looks more like a grass snake to me, but don't go and pick it up!
Treacodactyl

It looks very much like a grass snake to me although to be sure you would want to see the two yellow marks behind its head.
sean

More likely to be a grass snake than an adder IMHO. Having said that it's a rubbish picture so that's not a very confident ID.
Tavascarow

Treacodactyl wrote:
It looks very much like a grass snake to me although to be sure you would want to see the two yellow marks behind its head.

I agree.
Brownbear

It looks rather like a smooth snake to me, which is why I need to make a proper identification, as it is an offence even to give a smooth snake a dirty look.
misty07

Brownbear wrote:
It looks rather like a smooth snake to me, which is why I need to make a proper identification, as it is an offence even to give a smooth snake a dirty look.
how you mean by that bb? not allowed to touch it?
Brownbear

daddymatty82 wrote:
Brownbear wrote:
how you mean by that bb? not allowed to touch it?

Not to touch, disturb, injure, interfere with its habitat, anything other than look at it from a distance. Unfortunately the woman has a phobia of snakes and is a nervous wreck.
misty07

which snakes is that i never knew that lol i bet the women would be going spare. i know i would be big time if i went to open the door and saw that
Treacodactyl

I've not seen a smooth snake, seen loads of slow worms and quite a few adders and grass snakes. Does the smooth snake have such a yellow underside? The underside and black markings look very similar to a grass snake I found on my woodland the other day. That said I couldn't be 100% sure without a better picture.
sean

It's a bit outside their normal stomping grounds if it is a smooth snake.
Brownbear

This is near Okehampton. I understood that some had been released in that area.
sean

Ahh, dunno then.
Brownbear

I've suggested she contacts Natural England and then comes back to me with their ruling. It will make a nice change for them from rabbit protection and press releases about the ethnic composition of rambling groups.
judith

Is it actually inside the house? If so, does that really constitute its habitat?
Brownbear

judith wrote:
Is it actually inside the house? If so, does that really constitute its habitat?

It's living under her decking and keeps trying to get in the conservatory door. It rears up and hisses if she gets near it and the poor woman is a nervous wreck.
judith

Ah. Slightly more complicated then.
Why do they always turn up on the doorstep of people who won't appreciate them?
(I nearly wrote that I would love to have snakes under my decking, but thought much better of it!)
mochyn

j: I've got some loo roll for you.
judith

Laughing
Blimey. That was fast.
Duckhead

Brownbear wrote:
judith wrote:

It's living under her decking and keeps trying to get in the conservatory door. It rears up and hisses if she gets near it and the poor woman is a nervous wreck.

As would I be, we have a 4 foot long, jet black snake, living hereabouts. It scares me sensless. The locals laugh at my fear as they are known to be harmless. I'm all for live and let live but if I had a gun I'd shoot it. I would then have one dead snake and a wife suing for divorce.
Hairyloon

I'd agree with the grass snake ID... and the uncertainty.
I don't think it is a smooth snake, but I'm no expert.
Bodger

Grass snake. It looks like this ones ickle brother.

http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?t=42784&highlight=grass+snake
T.G

it's hideous i'm with the woman.. get rid of the bl**dy thing
misty07

smooth snakes are on the news atm and there saying how they were relesed into devon last year for the 1st time they have been seen in the area for 50 years your aloud to pick them up with a special licence was on the bbc channel so maybe there's some news of it on website but im off to college now to do my last day of my course before the test in the next few weeks
Brownbear

In the end, I was able to persuade her that these creatures represent no threat to her or her family, and she has decided to put up with them. It did turn out to be grass snakes, by the way, so thanks to all who helped me identify them.

Quite nice to resolve something with all sides happy with the result.
mochyn

Taht's good, BB: glad she's being rational! Snakes are lovely.
Treacodactyl

Just noticed this on the BBC today, something about the Devon smooth snakes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10472005.stm
vegplot

sean wrote:

Can snakes stomp?
Jo S

vegplot wrote:
sean wrote:

Can snakes stomp?

Shocked Shocked
toggle

there was an item on breakfast telly this morning about release of smooth snakes in devon
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home