Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Pilsbury

Nationwide website

Im trying to access the Nationwide building society website but its seems to of been down for a week or more so can someone check it for me and tell me if they can open it.
The address is
www.nationwide.co.uk
cheers
sean

Opens fine here.
Pilsbury

ok why would that site not be found by my computer then??? it comes up website not found even when i click on the link i just put in or when I type it into the browser itself, never had a problem before and dont have a problem with anyother internet page...
vegplot

Clear your browser cache/temporary files. Also, check that any anti-virus software or firewall hasn't blocked the site.
marigold

I've never been able to get the Nationwide site to load on my computer. Not since I first tried at the beginning of this year anyway. I've tried various browsers and have spoken to them about it, but it's still the same - click on the link and nothing happens (except the "loading" icon going round and round...).
vegplot

It's a possibility that your ISP is blocking them.
marigold

vegplot wrote:

BT?
Pilsbury

Cleared temp files and checked Norton and I cant see see it as a blocked site anywhere, we could get on to it up to a week ago but now it just comes up as not found, not sure what to do really as we normally use internet banking to transfer money round.
vegplot

marigold wrote:
vegplot wrote:

BT?

We've just moved to BT in this building (a 10Mbps link) and can reach the site. It's fails a lot of W3C validation but not enough to stop it from loading. What browser are you using?
Pilsbury

we are with aol but have never had a problem before now.
vegplot

Pilsbury wrote:
Cleared temp files and checked Norton and I cant see see it as a blocked site anywhere, we could get on to it up to a week ago but now it just comes up as not found, not sure what to do really as we normally use internet banking to transfer money round.

Try pinging the site

C:\ping www.nationwide.co.uk

it should come back with 155.131.127.10
marigold

vegplot wrote:
marigold wrote:
vegplot wrote:

BT?

We've just moved to BT in this building (a 10Mbps link) and can reach the site. It's fails a lot of W3C validation but not enough to stop it from loading. What browser are you using?

Firefox 2.0.0.8 on an iMac running OSX 10.3.9 - that's probably the answer, my system is too old for them... I'll be upgrading soon and will try it again. It isn't important to me as I only have a couple of ISAs with them and can visit the branch once a year to get the interest made up.
vegplot

marigold wrote:
vegplot wrote:
marigold wrote:
vegplot wrote:

BT?

Firefox 2.0.0.8 on an iMac running OSX 10.3.9 - that's probably the answer, my system is too old for them... I'll be upgrading soon and will try it again. It isn't important to me as I only have a couple of ISAs with them and can visit the branch once a year to get the interest made up.

If it is a question of browser/OS compliancy then they have a problem.
Pilsbury

errm whats pinging? and how do I do it? do I just need to type the line into the browser?
sean

I'm running FF2.0.0.3 and OS10.3.9 and I can get it so it's not that either. Confused
marigold

sean wrote:
I'm running FF2.0.0.3 and OS10.3.9 and I can get it so it's not that either. Confused

Strange - just me they hate then Laughing . Nice to know I'm not the only one who doesn't upgrade their OS as soon as a new one comes out. I have just bought a copy of Tiger on eBay though, as I have a feeling it's not a good idea to get too far behind.
RichardW

Have you tried flushing your cashed dns server saved settings?

Some times if you get one failed load of a site the dns setting on your pc for that site dont realise its failed so keep the new settings for it. It then does not look up the dns for that site as its one it has a local address for. Clear that address file & it will have to look it up from an online service.

Richard
Pilsbury

RichardW wrote:
Have you tried flushing your cashed dns server saved settings?

Some times if you get one failed load of a site the dns setting on your pc for that site dont realise its failed so keep the new settings for it. It then does not look up the dns for that site as its one it has a local address for. Clear that address file & it will have to look it up from an online service.

Richard

Hnnn?? ok I am a compleate non tech so step by step in plain english would be good.
Cheers
RichardW

Open a cmd / command line box
(start run cmd)
type
C:\>ipconfig /flushdns
Pilsbury

so i just open the run box and copy and paste C:\>ipconfig /flushdns is that right?

I hate messing about in these bits of computers cos it gets expensive if it all goes wrong.
RichardW

You should find that the first part is already in the cmd box just need from ipconfig onwards normaly
Pilsbury

when i open the run box i get a choice of services.msc or msconfig unless i deleat it all and start again

ok just tried it and it wouldnt let me, have to try and get my techie mate over for dinner Crying or Very sad
RichardW

in the run box type cmd then in the window that opens type the ipcong stuff
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home