Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption
 


       Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
cab

Necking city centre pigeons

I talked to one of the City Centre management team (a chap working for the council) a while back and asked him about the pigeons in the town centre. I described a couple of lame birds who could barely fly any more, with grotty, badly infected feet (one had a foot completely rotted off and had lost two toes on the other), and which were clearly suffering.

He agreed with my position that you don't leave an animal suffering. And he, like me, on coming across a dying animal wouldn't just walk by (how familiar this must be to most of us, I'm sure many of us have stumbled upon myxied rabbits blundering about and felt obliged to neck the poor thing). But he was also adamant that while its the right thing to do to pick up such a bird and neck it, you can't just do that in a town centre. You'll upset people. But he suggested that the right thing to do is to pick it up, take it in to a back alley or out of site of most people, and neck it there.

Now, the rights and wrongs of people being more offended by seeing an animal die than by seeing one in enormous pain aside... I dunno, am I the only one who spots this kind of thing? Am I the only person who thinks this matters? The state some of the city pigeons get in to is just awful. Purely from an animal welfare perspective, why does no one seem to notice, or if they do, why do so many people seem able to walk by and ignore that?

(edited for spolling)
Bernie66

You should do the right thing by the animal/bird, if you have time you can attempt to enlighten the passerby who does not understand but I feel that you would be wasting your time.
It's about what is "morally" right not what feels "nice"
Brownbear

Re: Necking city centre pigeons

cab wrote:
why does no one seem to notice, or if they do, why do so many people seem able to walk by and ignore that?


Because if they thought about it they might have to face up to certain realities about nature, life and death, and killing, that they prefer not to think about.
Bernie66

Re: Necking city centre pigeons

Brownbear wrote:
cab wrote:
why does no one seem to notice, or if they do, why do so many people seem able to walk by and ignore that?


Because if they thought about it they might have to face up to certain realities about nature, life and death, and killing, that they prefer not to think about.

That;s more eloquently put than me but the same sentiment
sally_in_wales

I vaguely remember a post by someone here a couple of years back who had dealt with a dying pigeon, but who got into trouble for being spotted disposing of it. I can't recall the exact circumstances, but its possible that this is a potential difficulty as well, are you 'allowed' to put a diseased dead bird into a public litter bin, which resumably would be the most likely option available in a city centre Confused
cab

sally_in_wales wrote:
I vaguely remember a post by someone here a couple of years back who had dealt with a dying pigeon, but who got into trouble for being spotted disposing of it. I can't recall the exact circumstances, but its possible that this is a potential difficulty as well, are you 'allowed' to put a diseased dead bird into a public litter bin, which resumably would be the most likely option available in a city centre Confused


Actually the chap asked me not to dispose of the bodies in the litter bins, what with their collection not being risk assessed. Fair enough, I suppose.
dpack

i take action in such circumstances ,the problem posted was being busted for burying it in a flowerbed (littering)rather than using a bin

last one i grabbed turned out to be a moulting racer who grew new feathers and was sent on his way after a month but i have culled quite a few sickly ones

wash your hands afterwards as ferals carry plenty of nasty bugs

i have never had a problem with anyone objecting but that might be folk not wishing to confront me rather than the principal of the thing .

a lot of peeps have an odd idea of life and death and i can see why a private dispatch is best
toggle

i'ts usually portrayed as 'what if a child saw?', but most kids don't have the hangups that most adults do.
mochyn

And I REALLY hope they're not 'for the pot'! Laughing
Brownbear

toggle wrote:
i'ts usually portrayed as 'what if a child saw?'


It would offer an excellent opportunity for curious young minds to be stimulated with a whole raft of things to think about.
cab

mochyn wrote:
And I REALLY hope they're not 'for the pot'! Laughing


I draw the line at animals dying of anything remotely like gangrene Laughing
toggle

Brownbear wrote:
toggle wrote:
i'ts usually portrayed as 'what if a child saw?'


It would offer an excellent opportunity for curious young minds to be stimulated with a whole raft of things to think about.


kids can do that without demonstrations.

watching a kid dissect cat-kill with a stick makes me feel a bit green
Hairyloon

cab wrote:
mochyn wrote:
And I REALLY hope they're not 'for the pot'! Laughing

I draw the line at animals dying of anything remotely like gangrene Laughing

Then again, if you can successfully establish the principal of grabbing them off the street, why not grab a healthy one?
toggle

is there any such thing as a healthy feral pigeon?
Hairyloon

toggle wrote:
is there any such thing as a healthy feral pigeon?

What is it that makes them intrinsically unhealthy?
Apart from the diet of discarded McDonalds.
Mrs R

They happily eat vomit. It's a valuable city service of course, but puts me off eating them. many's the time I'd wander past a scrum of pigeons on sunday morning in manchester city centre wondering what they'd found...and then nearly lose my breakfast aswell Laughing

hand rearing orphaned ones randomly found in shop doorways certainly brightened up days behind my desk though Very Happy They make excellent pets.
Hairyloon

Nat S wrote:
They happily eat vomit. It's a valuable city service of course, but puts me off eating them.

Certainly that is off-putting, but at the end of the day, vomit is exactly the same stuff as what you live off; the only difference is your stomach contents stay in contained in your stomach.
If the vomit was caused by illness, then maybe a problem, but probably 99% of urban vomit is alcohol induced.
Mrs R

Hairyloon wrote:
Nat S wrote:
They happily eat vomit. It's a valuable city service of course, but puts me off eating them.

Certainly that is off-putting, but at the end of the day, vomit is exactly the same stuff as what you live off; the only difference is your stomach contents stay in contained in your stomach.
If the vomit was caused by illness, then maybe a problem, but probably 99% of urban vomit is alcohol induced.


Lovely! You first.
Hairyloon

Nat S wrote:
Lovely! You first.

For some reason, when they see me coming, the birdies all try an' hide. Confused
dpack

the robin was less that a meter away this am ,not tame yet
cab

Hairyloon wrote:

Then again, if you can successfully establish the principal of grabbing them off the street, why not grab a healthy one?


Generally, if its healthy its a lot harder to grab. Doesn't mean it can't be done, but its not as easy.
mochyn

Hairyloon wrote:
Nat S wrote:
Lovely! You first.

For some reason, when they see me coming, the birdies all try an' hide. Confused


But they still go for peanuts when they're laced with cyanide...
yummersetter

when I read the thread title I thought spring had come early love3
Hairyloon

mochyn wrote:
But they still go for peanuts when they're laced with cyanide...

Well done. Prize goes to Mochyn.
lettucewoman

I thought feral pigeons were vermin?
Brownbear

lettucewoman wrote:
I thought feral pigeons were vermin?


So are wood pigeons. And rabbits. You can still eat them though.
mochyn

Hairyloon wrote:
mochyn wrote:
But they still go for peanuts when they're laced with cyanide...

Well done. Prize goes to Mochyn.


Laughing OK so what's my prize then? A musical periodic table? Laughing
Hairyloon

mochyn wrote:
Laughing OK so what's my prize then? A musical periodic table? Laughing

If that is what you desire. Wink
mochyn

Hairyloon wrote:
mochyn wrote:
Laughing OK so what's my prize then? A musical periodic table? Laughing

If that is what you desire. Wink

I'm forwarding that to the old chap: every scientist should have one! (Not an old chap...)
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home