Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
judith

Need shaggy ink cap recipes!

Had a phone call this afternoon from my neighbour asking me to identify some mushrooms on her lawn. Went round to see them and found a veritable forest of shaggy ink caps. I picked a large bagful and have a standing invitation to help myself.
I tried frying some up with a bit of bacon for tea, but they gave off a phenomenal amount of liquid and so were a bit slimy. Tasty, but slimy. I can see them being good in a risotto, but I would welcome some more ideas.
Oh, and are they worth drying?
Jonnyboy

Air drying won't work with them, you need an electric dryer.

they work well as a soup, sweated with onion and something starchy as a thickener. They also go well with parasols
judith

Soup's a good idea - do you reckon it would freeze OK?

Jonnyboy wrote:
Air drying won't work with them, you need an electric dryer.

I have a Tchibo dehydrator. I'll try drying some of the batch I picked this afternoon.
Jonnyboy

Don't see why not.
Stewy

Deep fry em Very Happy
cab

If you want to freeze them, then cook them first. Comes out better that way.

They make a great shroom soup; flick the dirt off, pick out the earwigs, pack them in a pan with salt, pepper and parsley, cover with milk, cook till done and blend it. Gorgeous, lots of subtle flavours.
Glis glis

They are really good if you slice them up and fry them into a mushroom rissoto with white wine.
judith

Glis glis wrote:
They are really good if you slice them up and fry them into a mushroom rissoto with white wine.

Mmm. That's what I was hoping. They give off so much lovely juice I thought it would be good.
judith

cab wrote:
They make a great shroom soup; flick the dirt off, pick out the earwigs, pack them in a pan with salt, pepper and parsley, cover with milk, cook till done and blend it. Gorgeous, lots of subtle flavours.

That's definitely on the menu. And these mushrooms are perfect - no earwigs, practically no dirt and in vast abundance, smack bang in the middle of my mushroom-hating neighbour's lawn!!!
cab

judith wrote:

That's definitely on the menu. And these mushrooms are perfect - no earwigs, practically no dirt and in vast abundance, smack bang in the middle of my mushroom-hating neighbour's lawn!!!

Pick 'em and use 'em fast, they go to ink in no time at all. Get them in and soup them as soon as possible, the shelf life of a cooked shaggy cap is far better than the shelf life of a raw one.

The only reason that I can think of why the shaggy cap isn't one of the most highly valued wild species is because they turn so very quickly.
doctoral

Very Happy The best way I have found is to oven bake them, shredded, on top of a garlicky egg - cook in a coddling dish/ramekin with a little olive oil.
Maxwell

Re: Need shaggy ink cap recipes!

judith wrote:

I tried frying some up with a bit of bacon for tea, but they gave off a phenomenal amount of liquid and so were a bit slimy. Tasty, but slimy.

They do work well pan fried, you just need to carry on frying them until all the juices evaporate and the mushrooms are golden brown.

I had some come up in my garden the other day but they'd started to auto-digest by the time I'd got to them Sad
dpack

hot fry /griddle
ross

I simmered 2 saucepans full with a little olive oil, until it reduced to about half, then blended and spooned into ice cube trays and froze. Have already added a couple of cubes into a stew and it gave a fantastic flavour. I know some discard the stems, but I just chopped them finer and left them in.
doctoral

To fry them, you will need an almost new non-stick pan and keep the pieces moving over high heat. This is the only way - if you are going to use butter, add a small knob at the last moment, or it will burn. GARLIC is good Exclamation
judith

ross wrote:
I simmered 2 saucepans full with a little olive oil, until it reduced to about half, then blended and spooned into ice cube trays and froze. Have already added a couple of cubes into a stew and it gave a fantastic flavour. I know some discard the stems, but I just chopped them finer and left them in.

Excellent idea.
I have a couple of tubs of scrummy soup in the freezer now - they really do have a lovely delicate flavour.
judith

doctoral wrote:
GARLIC is good Exclamation

Hmm. I'm beginning to spot a bit of a pattern here Laughing
Jonnyboy

Spotted a nice clump whilst driving back from the paper shop, drove straight up the grass verege and nabbed them.

My hands are black so they must be a little old, simmering now as per cab's recipe suggestion. Very Happy
Jonnyboy

It turned out to be a very tasty soup, the grey colour was a little off putting though.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home