Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Cathryn

Need to spoil my hens

They moved house last week and met a strange new BIIIIG hen. And haven't laid since. Sad I am not sure how often they were laying before. Lottie's hen has been and she is a baby and only just starting.

They are not free ranging currently as in their old garden they had been laying all over the place. So I want to keep them in the run until they all are laying in the nesting box. (I am also slightly wary about what predators are in the area.) It's been a week and no eggs. They are on layers and stuff from the kitchen which for once they are eating. They look in good health. Just patience do you think? Let them really settle down? Nothing I am missing is there?
Chez

Doesn't sound like it. The only worst-case scenario I can see happening is that the change of scenery has made them decide to go in to an early moult ... but that would start to become obvious quite soon. Just wait them out, I guess.

Mine lay less when I keep them confined, though ...
Cathryn

Yeah I thought that they would complain a lot but they seem to be ok with it. They are sorting out their new pecking order. And actually they might be going into moult... Never thought of that, pesky birds. Rolling Eyes
lottie

Hasn't the hen laid since the one she produced en route then?.
Cathryn

Yep your maran has, twice. Smile Smile

She has been getting a hard time from the cockerel who is half her size. Men!
lottie

Once the others come back into lay he'll share his "favours" about a bit Laughing
Cathryn

Maybe I should rephrase that - I think she is just too tall for him. He is a little short tempered with her. Rolling Eyes
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Array