Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
sally_in_wales

Nettles

Its nettle time of year again Very Happy There is a vast lamb and nettle curry on the stove burping away to itself, first pick of nettles this year, looking lovely Very Happy
gil

Yum !
sean

I was eyeing up *my* nettle patch today. Reckon I might get the wine on on Monday.
Bernie66

Nettles are probably the most useful and versatile wild plant . Completely underrated by. Spinach is a second best to it, steamed down with butter ans pepper.
jamanda

Nettle and ransom saag. Yum yum!
marigold

Does the fact that I deliberately planted some nettles in the wild bit at the bottom of my garden last year make me a true Downsizer? Laughing I reckon there's a bowl of soup's worth there now...
Nicky cigreen

Nettle and ransom saag. Yum yum!

you can ransom nettles? Wink

might be ramsons....

which reminds me i must go and pick some
judith

Nettle pesto. Double yum.
Treacodactyl

Does the fact that I deliberately planted some nettles in the wild bit at the bottom of my garden last year make me a true Downsizer? Laughing I reckon there's a bowl of soup's worth there now...

We've done the same, and planted wild garlic in the same area. Probably start using some nettles next week, and there should be some hop shoots ready as well.

Anyone lost for nettley ideas there's plenty here.
naomij

Apparently it's national nettle day soon, I'll be dyeing with some soon, not done it before but sounds fun. stuovenden

I made a nettle salsa verde not long ago, they work a treat in the mix if you're a bit shy on 'kitchen' herbs...

http://appledrane.blogspot.com/2010/11/nettle-salsa-verde.html
yummersetter

Can I just ask you what a tonka bean is? - straying from nettles to cakes on your blog, stuovenden. As you do Wink stuovenden

I acquired a small handful last year - I'd love to say in exchange for the family cow en-route to market, but sadly not. They've got a marzipan-like flavour, which is why I thought they'd work well in pfeffernuse. Smile

I was amazed when I found out that German WW1 uniforms were made from nettle fibre - seeming endless uses for them it would appear...
yummersetter

Those Germans - didn't they invent masochism? windyridge

Tonka bean

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipteryx_odorata
gil

I was amazed when I found out that German WW1 uniforms were made from nettle fibre - seeming endless uses for them it would appear...

Yes - we've a second nettle article planned about non-food uses for nettles.

There was a Nottingham Uni student who was working on nettle fibre to make lingerie. Think it was about 2008.
windyridge

Yes - we've a second nettle article planned about non-food uses for nettles.

There was a Nottingham Uni student who was working on nettle fibre to make lingerie. Think it was about 2008.

We were making nettle fibre last summer.. takes a heck of a lot of nettles to make any thing. I think I recall that it takes 30 odd kilos of nettle to make a shirt!
gil

What were you making with the nettle fibre, windyridge ? Nicky cigreen

I'm not that keen on the taste of nettles - though both nettle beer and nettle pasta are ok.

I've dyed with nettles - next i want to learn how to spin them
mochyn

Just put a pot of sooup in the overn: leek, potato, wild mushrooms and nettle. teh apuds were left from last night, the leek is an end that's been hanging round in the fridge, the mush. we picked and dried last year and the nettles I collected just now. And there's a bit of our own bacon in there too. naomij

I'm not that keen on the taste of nettles - though both nettle beer and nettle pasta are ok.

I've dyed with nettles - next i want to learn how to spin them

I'd like to try this too, but will try wool first!

this site has info on preparing nettles and making nettle cordage
http://www.bushcraft.ridgeonnet.com/Nettle%20cordage.htm

nettle tea is blurgh
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home