Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Treacodactyl

New airgun storage legislation

I've just come across this.

New legislation has been introduced by the Government which will make it an offence to fail to properly secure airguns in order to prevent them falling into the hands of children.

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/media/pressreleases.cfm/prid/AB98850A-190D-4275-A85D9C42CCD1DAE7

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/media-centre/news/airgun-locked
http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/about-us/home-office-circulars/circulars-2011/004-2011/
Brownbear

Common sense. Anyone who doesn't do so already needs a slap.
Penny Outskirts

Best move it from the office floor then Embarassed
12Bore

vegplot

Slap.
JB

You must have interesting business meetings if you feel a need to be armed!
Penny Outskirts

You must have interesting business meetings if you feel a need to be armed!

Gets right nasty it does.
Bernie66

That one is common sense but the movement to class all air guns as FAC is over the top. Jamanda

If it's common sense why legislate? I would hazard that more people are injured by knives than airguns, but we don't have to lock them away. Brownbear

If it's common sense why legislate? I would hazard that more people are injured by knives than airguns, but we don't have to lock them away.

Because of the vast numbers of people who lack said common sense. It's a lot easier for a child accidentally to injure or kill someone with an airgun than a knife.
matt_hooks

And it only applies, at least in theory, if you regularly have children around.

I'm lucky and have an FAC safe that my airguns go in, with the pellets in the ammunition safe, so the cost to me is nil, but to some it will mean having to get rid of their guns as they can't afford the security.

Of course, a bike lock and an eye bolt in the wall should be enough to comply, but the way it's been reported lots of people think they will need a safe.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

I was just about to ask this :/ Is being behind the locked door of my home a sufficient safety feature?
vegplot

I was just about to ask this :/ Is being behind the locked door of my home a sufficient safety feature?

I would have thought so, just ensure the key isn't accessible to minors. It might be worth having a chat with your local police.
Shane

Has anybody else noticed the irony of Brownbear's last avatar?

/hijack
RichardW

Has anybody else noticed the irony of Brownbear's last avatar?

/hijack

Well he dint leave did he?
gz

So to return to the subject of the thread, does my Man need a gun cabinet in his caravan, as caravans aren't the most secure of places, even when locked?

Our local groupf of yobs are mostly under 18, despite being regularly inebriated...
JB

AIUI - no. It only calls for reasonable precautions to prevent access. That could be acheived by a chain through the trigger guard and wrapped around almost anything or even a simple trigger lock so that it can't be used even if taken. No need for cabinets etc.

Personally I'm just going to put an eyebolt through some wood work and chain the gun to that it'll cost only a few pounds, I'm not worried yet as my little lad is only two so there's no practical way he could remove, cock, load and fire it and anyone else would have to break into the house first to get that. Is it absolutely secure? no, is it reasonably secure? yes.
nellydouglas

I am not surprised in the least about this legislation. Common sense has completely been removed from the average man and examples of a bag of peanuts carrying the warning "contains nuts" is just complete stupidity and a mockery of what society has become.

Respect and understanding is what is needed.

My Dad had air rifles and pistols lying around the house all the time when I was a kid. I knew what they were and how to use them in a responsible manner. Education and respect of equipment used for hunting and not protection in the hood!

Sorry for the little rant and I hope it doesn't offend too many. Just get very annoyed at the restrictions that are placed on everyone else who has two or more brain cells to rub together.
chrisanson

I am not surprised in the least about this legislation. Common sense has completely been removed from the average man and examples of a bag of peanuts carrying the warning "contains nuts" is just complete stupidity and a mockery of what society has become.

Respect and understanding is what is needed.

My Dad had air rifles and pistols lying around the house all the time when I was a kid. I knew what they were and how to use them in a responsible manner. Education and respect of equipment used for hunting and not protection in the hood!

Sorry for the little rant and I hope it doesn't offend too many. Just get very annoyed at the restrictions that are placed on everyone else who has two or more brain cells to rub together.

i completely agree, and the more responsibility that taken away in this manner the more it will happen
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Array Home Home