Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
chriseast1

New Allotment

After over 2 years on the waiting list I finally got a ¼ plot at the local allotments (http://www.raga-leeds.org.uk/aboutus.htm). Its right in the middle of the site, has good access from a track and is directly opposite a water tap. Although it’s only small it will be the perfect size for us at the moment.

Apparently it was well dug over and manured at the start of the season but then abandoned because the previous people changed jobs and had less time. There are some crops on there already and we have already had courgettes, beetroot and carrots. There’s some kale, Leeds and perpetual spinach as well.

Since the photos were taken the section that was covered in weeds has been cleared and dug over. I need to get something to make compost bins out of (anyone know where to get pallets from in Leeds?) and I have started planning the layout. Just deciding what to do about paths and starting a list of what to grow.

This means to plot at home is going to be given over half to strawberries and half to salad stuff.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101147669@N03/10206967706/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/101147669@N03/10207176963/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/101147669@N03/10207094156/
tahir

Congratulations
Nick

Re: New Allotment

There’s some kale, Leeds and perpetual spinach as well.

I'd have thought one Leeds was probably enough, no?

I also suspect Loon could point you at Leeds based pallets.
chriseast1

Oops. That should read Leeks.
DorsetScott

Congrats on the plot Chris. I got a 1/4 plot at the start of the year (though had to wait 4 years for mine).
With regards to compost, I have actually found it better to take all my stuff home rather than have a bin/heap on site.
I did have one, but found that for the large part I was taking out weeds which I couldn't put on the heap straight away, and not a lot else. Obviously that's only my experience of a 1/4 plot, but you do run out of room pretty quickly.
Not having the bin gives you a fair bit more room when compared to the available space, and combining anything with a heap at home gets more bang for the buck.
chriseast1

Interesting idea that I had not thought of. It would make a bit more space. There would be a large amount of stuff to move after the initial clear though.
Pilsbury

If its going to be lots for the inital clear then only half a bucket a visit i would say ask one of the full plot holders if they want your stuff in their bin in exchange for a barrow load of compost come spring, their heap gets bigger so works better over winter and you get some compost on site at the start of the season.
Mistress Rose

Getting a bit late to sow or plant stuff out now, but you might like to put in some garlic, and some onions can be sown now. I would suggest getting it cleared and kept in order from now on, and plan what is to go where, so that you are ready to sow and plant in the spring.

As for compost, you can use pallets, but most of them won't last too well. If you can get some offcuts of western red cedar, oak or chestnut, these will last a lot better.

Congratulations, and hope you get on well.
gythagirl

Overwintering onion sets can be planted now, I have some waiting to go in Embarassed

They did really well 2 years ago but last winter most of the sets rotted in the ground...can't think why...
DorsetScott

If its going to be lots for the inital clear then only half a bucket a visit i would say ask one of the full plot holders if they want your stuff in their bin in exchange for a barrow load of compost come spring, their heap gets bigger so works better over winter and you get some compost on site at the start of the season.

I'd forgotten about that, one of the plotholders at mine took a few bags off me, although that was because he was flattening a path.
Either way, for the sake of getting the initial clear out the way (which if it was anything like mine will be a lot of green matter), and then only having little bits of green stuff coming up, it'll be a hard heap to balance out. You may even end up taking paper and card etc on site to put in the bin to balance out.
DorsetScott

Also, on a complete aside, have you seen square foot gardening? I found it was a better way to use more of the space on the plot than a few of the others with quarter plots have managed. gregotyn

I work in an agricultural tractor dealership, we get lots of pallets, and I bring a lot home, and we give them away. That is of no help except it is a good starting point for you, there is bound to be an agricultural place around Leeds, but alternatively go to an industrial estate and have a drive around, there is nearly always a pile of unwanted pallets somewhere about or there will be a man who knows where such a pile exists. oldish chris

Also, on a complete aside, have you seen square foot gardening? I found it was a better way to use more of the space on the plot than a few of the others with quarter plots have managed. This is a good idea. Round my way, most plots for newbies are 1/2 size. I've got an odd sized one on the end of a row - it's nominally 1/2 but actually 3/4. Plenty big enough for two, especially as much of my fruit is grown in the back garden. But 1/4? A shed, a greenhouse and somewhere to sit and that's 1/5th of it gone.

What I find frustrating is that the percentage of new comers who don't last the year is around 50%.
Mistress Rose

Probably like the idea of growing their own fruit and vegetables, but get put off with the initial hard work, don't get anything coming up, isn't instant enough, or don't realise how much work has to be put into it on a sustained basis. DorsetScott

Also, on a complete aside, have you seen square foot gardening? I found it was a better way to use more of the space on the plot than a few of the others with quarter plots have managed. This is a good idea. Round my way, most plots for newbies are 1/2 size. I've got an odd sized one on the end of a row - it's nominally 1/2 but actually 3/4. Plenty big enough for two, especially as much of my fruit is grown in the back garden. But 1/4? A shed, a greenhouse and somewhere to sit and that's 1/5th of it gone.

What I find frustrating is that the percentage of new comers who don't last the year is around 50%.

Round my way, ¼ plots are essential. I waited 4 years for a ¼ plot. The waits are over 10 years for a full size.
I also believe it increases the success rates of people starting out. I have 2 kids under 3 and I work 50 odd hour weeks. I personally couldn’t dedicate the time at the moment for anything larger than a ¼ plot, but I have kept my plot maintained and got a fair amount of produce out this year with more still to come. And I'll get even more next year as I have got a better handle on successional planting etc, far better than just reading about it in books. I’ve learnt lessons, I’ve gained experience, I’ve made friends and taken advice. I’ve got decent exercise and a small place to escape from city life. My kids have sown seeds and harvested veg. I’ve succeeded. And when in a couple of years I’ve come to the top of the list for a half plot I’ll know what I’m doing. I’ll succeed again. Almost certainly because I have, for want of a better phrase, eased myself in.

Also, using square foot gardening may take slightly more planning, but I reckon that I can get close to the amount out of my ¼ plot using this method that people get out of a half plot using traditional methods.

I don’t know the state of allotments where you live, but maybe it’s something worth mentioning to your society? I see far more good done from having ¼ plots than harm
gardening-girl

Overwintering onion sets can be planted now, I have some waiting to go in Embarassed

They did really well 2 years ago but last winter most of the sets rotted in the ground...can't think why...

They do really well in the poly-tunnel Wink
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home