Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Finsky

New chicks

We've got some girls again....and quite likely some boys too.
Is so nice to start it all over again.
Over the winter their shed had good scrub and lick of paint..pen was repaired and soil changed. I even sowed some best grass seed from golf course for bit of greenery..just as a quick snack..
And now there is lovely chirp coming from shed..can't wait to let them out and turn everything upside down again.
Must enjoy tidy pen and level soil surface while I can.. Laughing[/img][img][/img]
Spruengli

Lovely Very Happy
madcat

Smart poultry, hope you have mostly hens but boys make Sunday dinner
Finsky

Smart poultry, hope you have mostly hens but boys make Sunday dinner

Oh noo...I could not do that. I would have to VERY hungry to able to eat my own animals.. Rolling Eyes
I keep my girls for 2 'products' and both of them come out of their backsides Laughing One to feed us directly and other undirectly Laughing Wink
Shan

Absolutely gorgeous.

What do you do with the cockerels if you don't eat them?
Finsky

Quote:

Well...they go to our friend who either 'deal' with them and they end up being fed to his ferrets or if his other friend hasn't got too many young 'chaps' on his hands..he will fatten them up and they will end up on his dinner plate.
Did you want some..? Laughing
Finsky

The mother is only on loan for doing all the broodying..the chicks are 'highly bred hybrids'..... Wink

...mongrels Laughing ..that is made of crossing some commercial laying birds with French Maran. Maran was chucked in mix few generations ago and since just commercials 'added on'. That bit of Maran blood is why the chicks come in different colours.
And may I point out that it is not me who has been playing with chickens.. Laughing As far as I'm concern...I want plenty of eggs..and even more poo for the garden.
Shan

Quote:

Well...they go to our friend who either 'deal' with them and they end up being fed to his ferrets or if his other friend hasn't got too many young 'chaps' on his hands..he will fatten them up and they will end up on his dinner plate.
Did you want some..? Laughing

Unfortunately, you are a bit too far from me!
Finsky

I've just been to see my girls..again.. Rolling Eyes and spent happy 10 minutes looking at them very carefully while they were fighting over few mealworms treats. And I'm quite aure that I'm already able to tell few apart and would place bets on (just saying...not literally!)few of them being boys...at least 3 have that difference factor..and one sort of 'we'll see' stage.
I don't get nothing done in this rate....oogling chicks doesn't help with work load... Rolling Eyes
Shan

I was oogling my 18 chicks today and I am willing to bet they are ALL cockerels, judging by their behaviour. Mithril

Very pretty Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home