Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
boisdevie1

New knife finished

Knife blade was bought from a supplier in Denmark. Leather came from that place in Newcastle. The knife scales are figured Sycamore.
perlogalism

Very nice. You've clearly got too much time on your hands Laughing
Rusticwood

Very nice
Mistress Rose

Looks good. Figured or spalted wood always looks interesting doesn't it.
nora

They look good. Did you wet mould the sheath round the knife and sew it?
boisdevie1

Exactly. I soaked the leather for a day, wrapped the knife in plastic to keep it dry and then used a few clamps and blocks of wood to shape the leather to the knife. Then left to dry off. Worked a treat.
nora

I'm going to try that soon, hope it turns out as nice as yours.
I was at spoonfest last weekend and a lady taught me how to do saddle stitching with the 2 needles and showed a bit of the sheath making. I have the needles and thread, just need to get an awl now and some clips. I have some leather from a car seat to practice on, not sure if it'll work but if not, i'll be in Newcastle before long so can get a bit of leather while i'm there.
Mutton

Exactly. I soaked the leather for a day, wrapped the knife in plastic to keep it dry and then used a few clamps and blocks of wood to shape the leather to the knife. Then left to dry off. Worked a treat.

So you shaped the leather before you stitched the sheath together?
boisdevie1

So you shaped the leather before you stitched the sheath together?

Yep. Wrapped the knife in plastic, put it on flat board, placed leather over knife and then clamped it down using bits of timber between clamps and leather being careful to avoid leaving impressions of clamps/timber on the leather. Then formed piece was stitxhed onto the flat other half of the sheath and then the excess leather was carefully cut off. Its only the second I've ever done and worked a treat.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home