Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Bodger

New piggys.

I've just got up to check my E-mails etc, to find that my offer of 180 for four 12 week old Large Black gilts has been accepted.
I've bought them sight unseen and I'll be collecting them either tomorrow or Monday.
All of them may end up in someone's freezer but they are birth notified and if any of them turn out to be half decent, then the vendor will register them for me at no extra cost.
I've always fancied keeping this breed, they are known to provide the sweetest of pork and some of the best bacon but most of this rarest of rare breeds are kept way down south of the country. These particular pigs are only fifty to sixty miles away, so I felt that it was a chance that I couldn't turn down.
I can't wait to get them home. hello1
Green Rosie

And there was me expecting to see pictures Rolling Eyes . Stomps off sulking.
Bodger

I'm hoping to arrange to pick them up tomorrow and then I'll have photos on here pronto.
gregotyn

I am told by a butcher that the Large Black is the best breed for butchers. I think they are fairly docile too!
Woo

And there was me expecting to see pictures Rolling Eyes . Stomps off sulking.

ditto!
Bodger

Hang on, tomorrow will soon be here. Very Happy

The guy who I bought my GOS's from thought that LB's made some of the best bacon but abattoirs on the other hand, tend not to be that keen on them. More often than not, they are slaughtered last because of the black hairs getting in the scald bath.
I'm looking forward to getting them and they do claim to be just about the rarest of rare breeds.

My piggies will all be Skylarks. I hope that makes sense.

http://www.britishpigs.org.uk/C_Survey%20results%20for%20web%20LB.pdf
sueshells

Oh that's very exciting. Do hope that the new pigs come up to scratch and that you can breed them.....then we get piglet pics at some stage. I like piglet pics. Very Happy

Look forward to seeing the photos of this lot, asap.
Bodger

The new girls are safely home and already the whole family here are loving them. They are lovely laid back placid pigs. A couple of the gilts have already touched the electric fence and and their response was to simply make a squeak and carry on as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened. Their response was totally different from the last lot GOS's that we had, which went ape shit and then didn't come out or eat for three days. Brilliant.

I've already give them a meal with some wormer in it and they've scoffed the lot. In the short time that they've been, it looks as though these are definitely going to be digging type pigs. Very Happy
sean

They're very dapper looking. Smile
Bodger

They all look the same to me Sean, how the heck am I supposed to tell them apart? Embarassed
SandraR

Stunning - image how amazing a field of those would look.
Bodger

Just promise not to let me get too carried away. Laughing
sueshells

They all look the same to me Sean, how the heck am I supposed to tell them apart? Embarassed

Well a different coloured bow on each of their tails would work and look adorable!

Beautiful, beautiful pigs, Bodger. I'm very jealous.
VM

They really are handsome animals. Where/when does the breed come from? I've not come across them before. Hope they continue contented and easy to look after. Woo

Well a different coloured bow on each of their tails would work and look adorable!

Beautiful, beautiful pigs, Bodger. I'm very jealous.

Laughing Laughing

well worth the wait.
Bodger

They have their origins in the West Country.

http://blackpig.electriclemonmp3.co.uk/
Ty Gwyn

Nice looking bunch,good conformation showing potential,

You mentioned they had been birth notified,yet not ear notched?
Bodger

They've been notched, now all I've got to do, is try and get a grip of the system. Ty Gwyn

They've been notched, now all I've got to do, is try and get a grip of the system.

Must be my eyes then,
To be honest,when i used to notch the Berkshires before,i always took the card from the BPA with me,helped to save making a mistake.
Bodger

To be fair, the notches on these pigs are pretty small and the notches that I've seen previously on other pigs, have been much bigger and more obvious. Green Rosie

Lovely piggies - thanks for posting Bodger! BahamaMama

Are they docile because they can't see where they are going through their big floppy ears?

Laughing
Bodger

After having watched them for a day now, I'm convinced that they can see far more of the world than my GOS's. They listen for you and definitely keep an eye open for you. Very Happy gregotyn

They look pretty good to me bodger, I think you have an excellent bargain there. They will give you hours of watching time- just to be sure Wink Wink
Best of luck, I hope they make good mothers for you!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home