Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
jema

New recipe database PLEASE READ and comment

No one likes the current downsizer recipe system Sad

We have a new one that we can import the current recipes into Smile

With the new one, you can just post your recipes on the forum any old how and then click a button and fill in a few things in a dialog and the recipe will be in the database.

Now here's the question. The "dialog" that appears will have a few selection boxes where you can set categories for the recipe.

Those same boxes will appear when people search. For example:

Is how a recipe search would look if we had just one category "Recipe Speed".

You could search without selecting values in any of the boxes.

The more categories we have, the more powerfully/selectively people will be able to search, but it becomes more hassle to enter the recipes and problems occur if the categories miss things out. e.g. until just recently I probably would not have added "Swahili" to a list of cuisine types!

So what categories can people be bothered to enter when adding a recipe, and feel would be useful when searching?
towerhill

Could you have categories and a "search all" checkbox if you do not wish to filter the query? Or the other way around.
jema

The categories boxes will start out blank, not filling them will mean the results are not filtered. The aim here is to keep things easy.
Slim

speed isn't the #1 concern on my list, though I can see it's value.

Definitely most important is being able to search by an ingredient (which is sort of de facto if the name includes the main ingredient) as it seems that a lot of recipe searching is due to "What can I do with ____?" questions
Penny Outskirts

Meal as in Breakfast, lunch, snack, evening meal, dessert, bakery

Don't personally search on recipe time
jema

Well ingredients are listed in any recipe and so a search will pick them up without the need to make someone enter ingredients separately when they add a recipe.
jema

Penny wrote:

The "Speed" thing is in the screenshot simply to have an example of how it might look there. I am not convinced it is that useful either.
Though having said that, it is not much trouble to fill in a few boxes when adding a recipe if they can just be done in a dropdown. So I think we should have as many categories as we can without turning entering a recipe into a chore.
Slim

jema wrote:
Penny wrote:

The "Speed" thing is in the screenshot simply to have an example of how it might look there. I am not convinced it is that useful either.
Though having said that, it is not much trouble to fill in a few boxes when adding a recipe if they can just be done in a dropdown. So I think we should have as many categories as we can without turning entering a recipe into a chore.

Sounds like you're on top of it.... Laughing

I second the usefulness of meal-type designations, side dish, main dinner dish, breakfast, dessert, baked good, etc.... just so long as it's standardized so that I'm not searching for dinner and missing everything posted for supper or "tea"
Nick

Vegan, vegetarian, fish or edible?

Quick throw together, regular meal or Spectacular feast for showing off?

£, ££, £££?
Pilsbury

troble with a throw it together/spectacular feast search is our opinions might differ, a 3 stuffed bird might be my normal supper but it might be your feast...
jema

The other question is how many categories to have.

From the point of view of someone searching, more within reason is better.

But we are think here of how we get people to want to post recipes, and people won't want to post if they have to answer 20 questions to get their recipe into the database.

Personally I think I'd be happy setting 4 options, perhaps cost, time, "Vegan, vegetarian, fish, game, poultry, meat", "breakfast, snack, starter, dessert, meal"
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home