Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Brownbear

New rifle

I want something in .223, for both foxing and that I can use in practical rifle contests or in Service Rifle shooting. Doing so much field shooting, I find the one-round-every-three-minutes of prone target shooting a bit dull.

Will people please put me off doing this, or otherwise I shall end up with an AR-15, and win the disapproval of all target shooting purists, and probably upset vegetarians too. Vegetarians often find an AR quite upsetting for some reason.
Bebo

Don't do it.
Brownbear

Bebo wrote:
Don't do it.

Reasons. Give me reasons.
sean

Because you'll be living the dream of every teenager/social inadequate who ever bought "Guns and Ammo". And you really don't want that.
Bebo

Brownbear wrote:
Bebo wrote:
Don't do it.

Reasons. Give me reasons.

Because I said so?
Brownbear

Sean has come up with a very good reason. But then again, I do know what an actual nude lady looks like, so there is already some considerable, demonstrable distance between me and the readership of Guns and Ammo.
richierobins

Re: New rifle

Brownbear wrote:
I want something in .223, for both foxing and that I can use in practical rifle contests or in Service Rifle shooting. Doing so much field shooting, I find the one-round-every-three-minutes of prone target shooting a bit dull.

Will people please put me off doing this, or otherwise I shall end up with an AR-15, and win the disapproval of all target shooting purists, and probably upset vegetarians too. Vegetarians often find an AR quite upsetting for some reason.

Always give in to temptation, lost opportunities may never be regained. Get the Armalite.
vegplot

AR15's are the rifle for practical rifle competitions. Bangor hosted the national comps this weekend.

Well I think it was the national comps, it was a big event anyway and I didn't go even though it's my local club.
Brownbear

I had a look at the AUG-Z and it's junk. They just took out the blowback mechanism - no other redesign at all.
SheepShed

Why not go for the AR-15 but keep the vegetarians happy with this non-threatening model ?

GENT

It sounds like great fun! Very Happy
arn't the above firearms semi auto though?
I thought that anything that wasn't rimfire or a shotgun was illegal in semi auto?
And if they are not, surely a bolt action firearm will be just as fast if not faster than having to fiddle around with an AR-15 mechanism. better still, a lever action?

Do it BB! go on Do IT! You'll enjoy yourself!
vegplot

GENT wrote:
It sounds like great fun! Very Happy
arn't the above firearms semi auto though?
I thought that anything that wasn't rimfire or a shotgun was illegal in semi auto?
And if they are not, surely a bolt action firearm will be just as fast if not faster than having to fiddle around with an AR-15 mechanism. better still, a lever action?

Do it BB! go on Do IT! You'll enjoy yourself!

They're designed to be semi-auto but deactivated in that respect for the UK. It's quicker than a bolt action (with perhaps the exception of a Lee-Enfield .303) as all you need to do is slide the bolt back and let go.
KILLITnGRILLIT

Get the AR, it is both an accurate rifle and as you will be using it for Mr.Todd, then it doesn`t need to be carried far or "need" to be a looker..............accurate as an accurate thing in accurateville on accurate day.

What twist rate , flavour of ammo are we going for ??

Brownbear

The configuration I'm looking at as 1 16" or possibly 20" 1:8 barrel, in a fairly standard AR configuration, suitable for the Civilian Service Rifle contest with optics removed and the rear sight/carry handle in place. Being fairly standard, it wouldn't be one of the half-ton jobs with great iron barrels that some ARs are, so fine for the field.

For ammo, most people use 69-gr Scenars for a target load, but I'd have to experiment for a good fox load - maybe go the light/fast route with some 45-gr Noslers I've got. I might even work up a heavier load for small deer.

Southern Gun Company just over the border in Bandit Country make very good ARs and I might pop over for a look next week, if I have a free day again in this life.
KILLITnGRILLIT

A friend has one and I had intended in putting a good few rounds through it at Bisley last year but unfortunately couldn`t go. He uses it for fox exclusively as he doesn`t have stalking rights and he also "rolls his own" to good effect

Nice rifle, but I still like my 595 Tikka in .222 ........nice and light, however I also have a T3 with heavy barrel mod and synth stock in 6.5 Laughing Not exactly a lightweight ! Laughing

Brownbear

.222 is a lovely little round. Fast and flat, groups sweet as a nut.
vegplot

A chap at the club has a heavy fluted barrel and it's very heavy, he's thinking of bringing it down to 16" to reduce the weight. Very accurate though.
Brownbear

RiF now has my Scout and is having a great time with it. I'm still torn between a Blaser R93 and this contraption for my new .223.
vegplot

Brownbear wrote:
RiF now has my Scout and is having a great time with it. I'm still torn between a Blaser R93 and this contraption for my new .223.

The Blaser's bolt action is unusual and I've only used one once. I've never liked the AR-15 but they have a good reputation.
Brownbear

I am thinking of it so that I could compete in Practical Rifle and Service Rifle. I have to balance that against my aversion to looking like an extra from Escape From New York.
vegplot

Have you looked at the FN FAL? It's 7.62 though.
Brownbear

vegplot wrote:

Ammo costs go up a fair bit, more than double the amount of powder.
vegplot

Brownbear wrote:
vegplot wrote:

Ammo costs go up a fair bit, more than double the amount of powder.

Not a problem with field shooting but with practical rifle you can get through 120 rounds or more in a single practice. I'll ask the chaps at the club tonight what they use but I'm fairly certain they use AR-15's. The recent weekend comp at our tunnel ranges in Bangor saw over 4,000 rounds being shot.
Brownbear

Thanks. One thing, fox shooting takes place mostly at night when all good vegetarians are tucked up in bed, not likely to see and be frightened by a scary black rifle.

Also, the Blaser is 1:12 rifling and wouldn't want to fire anything much over about a 55-grain projectile.
vegplot

I'm not sure if you have to release the bolt with the AR-15 (loud) or if you can gently let it come forward in order to load a fresh round quietly. If it's the former then it's not going to very helpful in the field.
Brownbear

vegplot wrote:
I'm not sure if you have to release the bolt with the AR-15 (loud) or if you can gently let it come forward in order to load a fresh round quietly. If it's the former then it's not going to very helpful in the field.

I think, after the noise of a .223 going off, that rechambering a round is a pretty fair anticlimax, noise-wide. I've never needed a second shot yet, anyway.
crofter

It's amazing how well some animals and birds can hear stuff - the "click" of a safety catch for example Laughing
vegplot

Brownbear wrote:
vegplot wrote:

I think, after the noise of a .223 going off, that rechambering a round is a pretty fair anticlimax, noise-wide. I've never needed a second shot yet, anyway.

It's the first chambering I was thinking of but then one normally does that prior to the stalk anyway so it's a non issue. Forget I posted in the first place.
vegplot

No-one was at the clucb last night who odes the practical rifle so no answers I'm afraid.

On a different note (almost a thread hijack) I tested some new powder (for me that is) in my .357mag Marlin under lever. I normally use Bullseye as it's clean burning and economic. However, our local gun dealer ran out of it and gave me a lecture in the risks of accidentally double filling a case. They recommended Titegroup, which i had read good reports of, so bought some. I discovered it have a higher density than Bullseye so their warning of double filling was nonsense (I can actually fit 5 charges of Titegroup in a case compared to 4 of Bullseye).

I digress. I made up several loads ranging from 3.6 to 5 grains and found that 4.6 grains was ideal yielding a five round one hole group at 25 yards. Needless to say I'm very pleased with this result and will make this my 'standard' powder for this calibre and discipline. Earthyvirgo ran some tests and she came to the same conclusion.
vegplot

I applied for a variation for a .223 less than a couple of weeks ago. This morning my new FAC flopped through the letter box. No questions asked an no visit required. Things have certainly improved with the firearms registry of NWP.

I'm getting a Steyr AUG.
Plekky08

Quote:
Always give in to temptation, lost opportunities may never be regained. Get the Armalite
Stuff the armelite! Go for a GIMPY 100rounds of 7.62mm fun!!!!!!!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home