Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
sean

New Spuds and Asparagus

Cornish new potatoes and local(ish) asparagus are both in at our greengrocer. This makes me happy. Very Happy
gardening-girl

Loverly!
robkb

Yup, the local farmer's market sent me an email saying Kentish asparagus will be available this weekend Very Happy
sean

You metropolitan sophisticate you. Our greengrocer puts it outside and relies on you seeing it.
robkb

metropolitan sophisticate

You've obviously never met me, so I'm not going to disillusion you. God bless t'interweb.
sean

Exactly. In my mind you're wearing spats. And a tail coat.
robkb

Hush now while I spend my bonus and wipe my feet on poor people.
dpack

"yumm poor people with asparagus"

sorry homer got all cross threaded there Laughing
Mistress Rose

Our farm shop has been selling their own asparagus for a couple of weeks now. Really nice.
Mistress Rose

Noticed some asparagus in the supermarket yesterday, so as it was very out of season, I looked to see where it came from. Peru. Answer is don't buy asparagus at the moment.
yummersetter

It came to Tesco from Peru in May as well. There are asparagus farms a mile away, but I doubt if they're shipping to Lima.

I wouldn't be surprised if the apples on sale today in Morrisons are grown in South Africa. Or New Zealand. In Washington State, where the US apples are grown, there were near riots when the supermarkets started selling apples from China.
Mistress Rose

We have just been through the early English apples, and are now on the main crop. It makes no sense to import them now, but the supermarket buyers can probably get a better price clearing the last of the crop from the Southern Hemisphere, knowing that they won't last much longer.

Moral of this is always look to find out where your produce is from. Difficult with some things, but easy with fresh fruit and vegetables.
dpack

paddington bear never mentioned asparagus asfaik
Treacodactyl

The place I tend to buy much of our fruit and veg, all locally grown, had sold out or not managed to pick any apples when I went there last week. Still, at least the apples I couldn't buy would have been English.
Nick

The place I tend to buy much of our fruit and veg, all locally grown, had sold out or not managed to pick any apples when I went there last week. Still, at least the apples I couldn't buy would have been English.

And the asparagus, too, I suppose. Smile
Bodrighy

Unless asparagus has been picked fresh I m afraid I am not interested after growing my own some years back. The difference is too much. Love the taste but can't stand the stringy stuff you get from the supermarket.

Pete
Treacodactyl

And the asparagus, too, I suppose. Smile

They don't grow asparagus, so I've not had the pleasure of not buying it. Their peaches were very nice though and not sold as 'ripen at home'.

Going back to growing asparagus, is it more ethical to ship it in or the workers to grow it 'locally'?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home