Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Nick

New stilton.

I've just bought some mint choc chip stilton.

Seriously, how bad can it be? Shocked
tahir

puke_r
Jonnyboy

I saw a variety with pickled onion in it once, and it was welsh. Embarassed
Nick

Oh. Actually, the answer is pretty bloody horrible.

tahir

But it looks so.......appetising????
Fee

Ooh, that sounds, er, different!
Nick

I don't know whether I should have pickle with it, or Hot Fudge Sauce.
Jonnyboy

I have to ask...why did you buy it?
tahir

Jonnyboy wrote:
I have to ask...why did you buy it?

In the interests of science?
Behemoth

(Speechless)
cab

Has anyone ever had a novelty cheese that was better than a proper bit of cheese?
Nick

I had to visit the supermarket, for a variety of things that I actually needed, and I saw it.

You can't pass by something that bizarre.

And, no, Cab, you're absolutely right. Cheese is the best use for cheese there is.

It tastes... odd.
Silas

cab wrote:
Has anyone ever had a novelty cheese that was better than a proper bit of cheese?

Wenslydale with cranberrys is pretty good.
cab

The cranberry. Greatest con ever inflicted on mankind.
Silas

cab wrote:

Explain? Smile
cab

Silas wrote:
cab wrote:

Explain? Smile

Try eating one. Absolutely pointless little things, completely inedible unless massively sweetened. They're ugly and pointless, there is nothing you can do with a cranberry that isn't better if you made it with a different fruit.

I blame Delia.

And yet the shops are groaning under the weight of cranberry products. You can even get white cranberry juice, which isn't even made with ripe cranberries.

Give me anything but cranberries.
Nick

The minute you get cystitis.... Wink
cab

nickhowe wrote:

I suspect thats a myth put about by whoever markets the inedible red bullets.

I can't think of any food I despise as much as I despise cranberries. I'd sooner eat twiglets.
tahir

cab wrote:
there is nothing you can do with a cranberry that isn't better if you made it with a different fruit.

Absolutely
Jonnyboy

You know, I already liked cranberries, but now i love them just that little bit more.
cab

Jonnyboy wrote:
You know, I already liked cranberries, but now i love them just that little bit more.

Oh, go ruin some potatoes or something.
Behemoth

So if you saw Morrisey walking down the street snacking on dried Cranberries you'd really go for him! Just hope he's not wearing a Sunderland shirt at the time. Laughing
cab

Behemoth wrote:
So if you saw Morrisey walking down the street snacking on dried Cranberries you'd really go for him! Just hope he's not wearing a Sunderland shirt at the time. Laughing

If I saw Morrisey eating cranberries wearing a Sunderland shirt, I wouldn't be surprised by his lack of taste. I'd probably offer him a meat pie.
Jonnyboy

Did you know that Ocean Spray just crams in the cranberry goodness? mmmmmmmmmm Razz
judith

What's wrong with Twiglets?
tahir

judith wrote:

True, I love 'em
Nick

Jesus woman. How long have you got?
Jonnyboy

tahir wrote:

True, I love 'em

Them and those cheesy squares. heaven in a cardboard tube.

Which incidentally is perfect for pressing your home made cheese.
cab

Jonnyboy wrote:
Did you know that Ocean Spray just crams in the cranberry goodness? mmmmmmmmmm Razz

Says on their site:

Quote:

Water, Cranberry Juice from Concentrate (25%), Sugar, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Vitamin C.

'Course you have to add the sugar 'cos the juice itself is undrinkable puke_r
judith

nickhowe wrote:
Jesus woman. How long have you got?

I've seen the cheese that takes your eye. I'm not going to take your culinary advice ever again.
cab

judith wrote:

They're the poor mans substitute for marmite on toast. Why eat twiglets when you can have marmite on toast?
Nick

Yeah, well, technically, with all that water, sugar and gunk in there, it is a cram to fit any cranberry juice in.

ps, half the cheese is eaten, and I'm not dead yet.
pps.
Behemoth

So it's like orange squash?

I like tart and dry they are always oversweetened for my taste.
Jonnyboy

cab wrote:

Eat a lot of raw black currants do we, or rosehips, or redcurrants, or gooseberries?
Northern_Lad

cab wrote:
judith wrote:

They're the poor mans substitute for marmite on toast. Why eat twiglets when you can have marmite on toast?

I think the real question here is why on earth you'd want to eat something that tastes like marmite in the first place.
otatop

There's a recipe for chocolate and stilton balls in the Green & Black's chocolate book. I was going to have a go with the Christmas leftovers.
judith

Nowt wrong with Marmite as long as you keep it away from my boiled egg.
Jonnyboy

cab wrote:
judith wrote:

Beacuse marmite on toast makes a mess when you keep it in your pocket.
Northern_Lad

Jonnyboy wrote:
cab wrote:

Eat a lot of raw black currants do we, or rosehips, or redcurrants, or gooseberries?

Black- and red-currents, raw, as they are, with cream, served in merangue nests: please.
Jonnyboy

Hmm, Egg whites, air and.................lots of sugar!
Northern_Lad

Jonnyboy wrote:
Hmm, Egg whites, air and.................lots of sugar!

OK, I'll make do without the egg whites and sugar then. Still putting my cream all over the place though.
Nick

That reminds me. I heard that boo is an aborigine word for "comes back". Apparently, a normal merengue doesn't come back when you throw it...
Silas

cab wrote:
nickhowe wrote:

I suspect thats a myth put about by whoever markets the inedible red bullets.

I can't think of any food I despise as much as I despise cranberries. I'd sooner eat twiglets.

I'll put you down as a maybe then shall I...........
sean

Nick's gone off-line. Do you think that he's ODed on weird cheese?
Jonnyboy

He's devising a marmite and cranberry toasted soldier for use with soft boiled eggs.
Nick

Nah, I was on the school run. In my 4x4. I had to keep the aircon on because the heated seats were too warm.
sean

Hope you had the windows open too.
Nick

Duh. No.

They let the noise from the roofbars in and it's too noisy.
Behemoth

I hope you reduced congestion by using side streets.
Nick

We only have side streets. I also saved wear and tear on my starter motor (and the planet, natch) by leaving the engine running while I watched the last 20 minutes of the football match.
Treacodactyl

You can watch TV while you're driving these days, just call it SatNav if anyone asks.
Behemoth

nickhowe wrote:
We only have side streets. I also saved wear and tear on my starter motor (and the planet, natch) by leaving the engine running while I watched the last 20 minutes of the football match.

I hope you thoughtfully parked on the verge or pavement so as not to obstruct the highway.
Nick

Sort of half on, half off really.
Jonnyboy

Front fog lights are essential at this time of year, day or night.
Nick

Well, duh. Yes. Not least because how can I have my back ones on without using the front ones? The switch for the back does both.
cab

Jonnyboy wrote:

Yes, no, yes and yes. As for rosehips, they do one or two things better than any alternatives; the syrup is awesome and theres a semi-savoury soup you can make thats outstanding. Nothing you can do with nasty little cranberries that isn't better done with another fruit, especially juice.
cab

Jonnyboy wrote:

Beacuse marmite on toast makes a mess when you keep it in your pocket.

Eww... Twiglets and pocket fluff.
bernie-woman

Mmmmm - love twiglets

Got a lovely recipe for cheese and marmite scones if anyones interested Wink

PS - the cranberry juice and cystitis thing does work and is recommended by the docs but you have to try and drink the less sweetened ones and /or take cranberry extract in capsule form Confused
cab

bernie-woman wrote:

PS - the cranberry juice and cystitis thing does work and is recommended by the docs but you have to try and drink the less sweetened ones and /or take cranberry extract in capsule form Confused

puke_r
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home