Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
welsh veg grower

New web site- what do you think?

Thanks to EV and Veg Plot I have a new web site for our B&B.

We have tried to keep it simple, as I dont think people are after loads of info when all they really want is to know about our rooms.

So I am now after sensible feedback and also suggestions of what else you would like to see on a B&B site.

Cheers
chez

I like it - I think it's very slick. The only thing that I would say is that you don't have anything upfront about prices, which would completely put me off booking. I don't know if it's just me, but it's like a red rag to a bull Laughing. Could you add something like 'from £x in the low season and £y in the high season' to give people an idea?
pookie

I think it's fab! Smile

The same as Chez though about prices, I was searching for a while before I finally went through to your booking site.
welsh veg grower

Chez wrote:
I like it - I think it's very slick. The only thing that I would say is that you don't have anything upfront about prices, which would completely put me off booking. I don't know if it's just me, but it's like a red rag to a bull Laughing. Could you add something like 'from £x in the low season and £y in the high season' to give people an idea?

good idea, if they click the on-line booking link and out in dates it will tell them the exact price (even takes the deposit - very cool) but your right they wouldn't know that so I'll pop up some price's

thanks for that
welsh veg grower

just thinking were would you think the prices should go? I don't want to add another page really.
chez

I reckon you could just put a bit at either the bottom or the top of the appropriate b&b or sc pages, or as separate bullet in the blurb for each room. It doesn't need to be a huge thing - just there if people have a cursory 'that looks nice I wonder if I can afford it' thought.
chez

In fact, just clicked through again, and exactly where you've put them on the B&B page Laughing

ETA: on the B&B page, it's not clear whether that's for the room, or per person and whether it includes breakfast.

Sorry. Being dreadfully picky Embarassed
welsh veg grower

Chez wrote:
I reckon you could just put a bit at either the bottom or the top of the appropriate b&b or sc pages, or as separate bullet in the blurb for each room. It doesn't need to be a huge thing - just there if people have a cursory 'that looks nice I wonder if I can afford it' thought.

Cheers done, prices now up and showing for all to see, I have nothing to hide so I really dont know why I didnt put them up before.
chez

I think you just don't think about that kind of thing sometimes. You get so focussed on getting the layout right that you miss out enormous amounts of information. Speaking personally Laughing
pookie

or at the left on the purple bit?

Also I had another thought immediately the page opened, that a pic at the top right would be nice, I don't know if it's just my laptop, but I had to scroll down before I saw any photos at all.

Your rooms look lovely Wink
Treacodactyl

Have you got a banner sorted yet so we can activate your banner advert?
welsh veg grower

Treacodactyl wrote:

Ah now, I know EV and I discussed the design need to go back and see how far we got with that, been busy doing business cards and all sorts.
T.G

lovely - WVG whats the name/shade of the paint you have in the twin room? ta Very Happy
JohnB

The site tells porky pies - "Your browser does not support JavaScript!"

My browser does support JavaScript, it's just not enabled Wink
earthyvirgo

welsh veg grower wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:

Ah now, I know EV and I discussed the design need to go back and see how far we got with that, been busy doing business cards and all sorts.

Yes Mrs, you have. I emailed it to you a while ago Wink

EV
Jo S

It looks great, the only thing I'd want to see are photos of Lampeter and the countryside in the 'local area' section.
earthyvirgo

Design is such a personal thing. You know how passionate I am about plenty of whitespace WVG Smile

I'd prefer one larger image of the exterior of the house on the front page (it's a beautiful house, show it off), followed by the text, then smaller clickable thumbnails that take you to the other pages underneath.

I'd be happy to make one extra click to see pics of the rooms, not expect it all on the home page.

But, I know lots of people prefer multiple images on the homepage.

EV
vegplot

JohnB wrote:
The site tells porky pies - "Your browser does not support JavaScript!"

My browser does support JavaScript, it's just not enabled Wink

Good point. The latest version of our CMS (not yet released) has removed this warning as it was felt it interfered with the overall aesthetics of a web site but then so does disabling JavaScript.
welsh veg grower

earthyvirgo wrote:
welsh veg grower wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:

Yes Mrs, you have. I emailed it to you a while ago Wink

EV

poo did you, I'll hunt back then and send it off
welsh veg grower

Jo S wrote:
It looks great, the only thing I'd want to see are photos of Lampeter and the countryside in the 'local area' section.

yep thats a good idea, I wanted to add stuff in here but haven't had the time but could do photos easier. Thanks
JohnB

vegplot wrote:
Good point. The latest version of our CMS (not yet released) has removed this warning as it was felt it interfered with the overall aesthetics of a web site but then so does disabling JavaScript.

Not being told that you need JavaScript is also annoying, as it takes a while to work out why the site doesn't work properly. I started disabling JavaScript when I was travelling with a painfully slow mobile internet connection, as it made loading some pages faster. Because of that experience, I try to create sites that work quickly on slow connections, and have a No Script option wherever possible. Many sites seem to need JavaScript for no obvious reason.
welsh veg grower

JohnB wrote:
vegplot wrote:

Not being told that you need JavaScript is also annoying, as it takes a while to work out why the site doesn't work properly. I started disabling JavaScript when I was travelling with a painfully slow mobile internet connection, as it made loading some pages faster. Because of that experience, I try to create sites that work quickly on slow connections, and have a No Script option wherever possible. Many sites seem to need JavaScript for no obvious reason.

just to say I have no idea what you are all talking about.
welsh veg grower

The.Grange wrote:
lovely - WVG whats the name/shade of the paint you have in the twin room? ta Very Happy

Its Morris Co paint - colour Loam kind of a mucky browny greeny colur, nce and warm, you wouldnt choose it off the colour chart moind you,
cir3ngirl

Directions page has couple of odd bit of text. Almost over lapping what should be there and going outside of the boarder boxing area.

I like info on how far station is away as well.
Lorrainelovesplants

I was interested to read this to see if I could improve my own website...
I was interested to read your terms & conditions.....
I know you have to cover yourself, but there are a lot....
on first glance I thought 'bloody hell', (actually, I cant print what I did think)
I also think that the ...'you have to phone us to cancel the booking at least 7 nights beforehand or we will charge you the full rate, and by the way, if we fail to find an alternative customer, we'll charge you anyway'.......(I have put this into what I translated this to read)

Do you really mean that if I phone 7 days in advance to cancel a booking and you fail to relet it, then Im liable?
welsh veg grower

cir3ngirl wrote:
Directions page has couple of odd bit of text. Almost over lapping what should be there and going outside of the boarder boxing area.

I like info on how far station is away as well.

Well spotted a rouge text box and slipped in, sorted now.
I've also added the travel time from the stations.

Ta for feedback
welsh veg grower

Lorrainelovesplants wrote:
I was interested to read this to see if I could improve my own website...
I was interested to read your terms & conditions.....
I know you have to cover yourself, but there are a lot....
on first glance I thought 'bloody hell', (actually, I cant print what I did think)
I also think that the ...'you have to phone us to cancel the booking at least 7 nights beforehand or we will charge you the full rate, and by the way, if we fail to find an alternative customer, we'll charge you anyway'.......(I have put this into what I translated this to read)

Do you really mean that if I phone 7 days in advance to cancel a booking and you fail to relet it, then Im liable?

Happy to share ideas about info on B&B sites. Very Happy

Terms, ah well they are my terms and if they don't suit I guess you wont book. Most of the time I don't charge but at least I have that option if I feel a customer is taking advantage.
vegplot

JohnB wrote:
vegplot wrote:

There are also some very good reasons to use JavaScript.JavaScript can actually speed up the responsiveness of a site by avoiding whole page refreshes when you only want to refresh a portion of a page in response to a user interaction. Google maps is a prime example of this. As the web becomes a richer more diverse environment then web applications are expected to behave as such rather than a set of single pages interconnected by hyperlinks.

There remains no strong argument to disable JavaScript in the browser, in Chrome you don't have the option, as JavaScript is much better implemented and imposes much less of an overhead than it used to.

I'm quite happy to share my thoughts on this and of course listen to yours or anyone else's in another thread rather than piggy backing this one perhaps some kind mod could wave their magic wand.
arvo

Love your headline font by the way.

A perfect combination of arty and legible that is a really tricky thing to pull off.
Stacey

I have to agree with Lorraine. Nice website, lovely house but your terms and conditions are overly fierce. It would totally put me off. It's like you're doing people a favour by letting them pay to stay in your property. My mum ran a guest house in Scilly and the vast majority of people were excellent customers who behaved as they would in their own houses. I just think those kind of terms and conjditions and that particular tone is extremely off putting.

30 days to cancel a booking??? I wouldn't get any further than that page before I was off looking for somewhere else a bit more friendly.

I also agree with whoever said one main image on the home page
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home