Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
James

newspaper (woodburner) blocks

Last winter I made blocks from newspaper pulp pressed in my wine press, dried by the fire until very dry throughout.
I found that they didn’t really burn- they sort of glowed with a very small flame. I found them OK if you also put some wood on at the same time. They behaved more like peat. They left a lot of ash. Last years blocks were around 2” thick and 8” diameter. I normally broke them up to help them to burn.

Over summer I’ve been mulling this over in my mind and figured that the surface area was too small relative to the volume of combustible material.

So I’m considering trying the following

- Just before pressing the pulp, mix in coarsely ripped up corrugated cardboard. This will open up the texture of the pulp.

- Reduce the size of the blocks- I’m thinking of taking a fistful of pulp and squeezing the water out to produce something the size of a large walnut or a charcoal briquette. This will increase the surface area to volume ratio.

Anyone been down the same route and got any findings (dougal?) Any other ideas?
Jonnyboy

I'm thinking of doing something similar with the addition of woodshavings to the mix. Haven't tried it yet though
sean

Some advice on the subject can be found on mrutty's site.
arvo

We had a go with one of those paper log press things,
from these guys:
http://www.greenshop.co.uk

I found the density of the pulp seems to be what makes the difference. When we set up for a days manufacture in a big bucket with warm water, the logs we make at the end of the day from the squishiest paper mache tend to be the longest burning.
I must guilitly confess to having a whole wheely-bin full of paper and no logs this year due to moving house.

Have people tried these in proper enclosed log burners or just in open fires? Does the ash cause issues?

Arvo
doctoral

Some people add a combustible liquid, such as used vegoil before pressing ... would probably knacker a cider press, though.
mrutty

sean wrote:
Some advice on the subject can be found on mrutty's site.

Thanks for the pimp Wink

Lots of ash sounds like not enough soak time. Adding another material will change the way it burns but cardboard won't make much difference, try sawdust, shavings or twigs.

Watch the addign of oils. Yes it will work and give a great burn but may spit great balls of burming oil which could be a hazard on an open fire (wood burner would be OK but you have to make sure that you don't over heat it by adding too much oil)
James

mrutty wrote:
Lots of ash sounds like not enough soak time.

can you explain further? why would the length of time you soak the pulp alter the ash content?
lottie

Jonnyboy wrote:
I'm thinking of doing something similar with the addition of woodshavings to the mix. Haven't tried it yet though

W'eve been succesful with making and burning the compressed paper bricks in our multifuel stove, but have just acquired a chipper/shredder and wondered about incorporating the results with the paper mix---please let us know if it's succesful or ideas on the best ratios----or does someone already have the answer?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home