Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
gythagirl

Night Storage heating...

Energy people, your opinions please! Nephew & niece-in-law have been discussing with us some of the house details they've been looking at after being let down by one. We mentioned heating: all are in 'gas' areas but several had night storage heaters and we were surprised that one had NEW n/s heaters.

To me, n/s heaters are expensive and give you heat at the wrong times (Mum has had them forever).

Are modern n/s heaters better now, and a viable alternative to gas, or other electric central heating? Or avoid like the plague and look for gas?
Treacodactyl

I'm not sure about expensive, especially if you end up with a gas boiler than needs repairs.

We have them and they're probably over 20 years old so not the latest. I asked about them a few years ago and I think everyone wasn't keen on them. We've the same complaints in that they do keep the house very warm in the morning and day but run out of oomph in the evening and especially after about 8pm.

My main complaint is that you need to plan 24hrs in advance, so if the weather is going to get colder tomorrow night you need to turn the input up on the heaters the night before.

That said, as we're at home during the day they aren't that bad. One has a daytime boost feature (non E7 electric) and it doesn't seem to be too expensive and you can leave the heating on over winter when you're away and not worry about the boiler/pump etc breaking etc.

Insulating the loft well has also helped.
jema

We have newish NS heaters and they are sill a annoying as when last we had them to my mind.
Heat when you don't want/need it, and 24 hour lag.
I don't know the costs yet.
Mithril

We've got them. They are expensive and inconvenient.
gythagirl

Thanks - as I thought! Will advise to avoid if poss!
stumbling goat

I am about to instal some NSH. Some new models have a built in convector so that if the stored heat is used, you can boost it a bit. I will still have to reduce the output and wear an extra layer, but I have only electric as a supply.

They will also be used where I have a solar installation so when I turn them down in the morning I will use the convector and solar power to heat the rooms, and then use the stored heat as late as possible in the day. My options are limited.

HTH

sg
Mithril

Despite not liking them I wouldn't turn down the 'right house' just because it had NSH.

Some of ours were a bit tatty so we've swapped those ones to more modern ones. it seems to me that the old creda ones outperform the newer dimplex ones, despite being a horrid yellow beige Embarassed I don't have any of the fan boost ones though, just the bog standard ones.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home