Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
tahir

No 1 PC Fixed but....

Fixed my main home PC

BUT

I think I've really messed up with my work PC, it won't boot, I reckon I needed to load the new m/b drivers BEFORE I installed it, kind of tricky when the old ones fried.

What can I do now? (Haven't got my Win2K disk here to re-install)
Bernie66

I would really love to be able to help you but i will treat all posts in this thread as a training session for myself. If you have this one up and running won't you be able to get answers from interweb?
tahir

Bernie66 wrote:
If you have this one up and running won't you be able to get answers from interweb?

Just realised that funny enough Laughing

Apparently I need to boot from my Windows CD, which I left at work, oops.
Bernie66

tahir wrote:
Bernie66 wrote:
If you have this one up and running won't you be able to get answers from interweb?

Just realised that funny enough Laughing

Apparently I need to boot from my Windows CD, which I left at work, oops.

See, i am learning Laughing
mrutty

Double check the M/B CD as there is normally a linux based rescue disk included or http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=linux+rescue+disk&meta=

No skills needed as most boot to a GUI and let you reset the Windows config (unless you are dumb and didn't use FAT).

I may even have a pre configured one lying around here somewhere under all this junk (Oops sorry totally useful work stuff that I haven't looked at in 18 months)
tahir

mrutty wrote:
unless you are dumb and didn't use FAT

I knew there was a reason you shouldn't use NTFS for your system disk Embarassed
mrutty

Getting technical here, but you're screwed until Monday Sad

OK maybe not, there are these tools, but have never used any of them and so can't recommend them. Your risk you understand, it may totally stuff the system.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=ntfs+rescue+disk&meta=
tahir

I'll be in work Sunday, it'll have to wait till then. Ta mate Wink
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home