Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Hairyloon

Non-vegetarian bread?

We were in a supermarket the other day and my vegetarian friend was moved to wonder if the tiger bread was vegetarian.
So we asked a baker who told us that all the bread they make has a small amount of animal fat in it.
I was more than a bit surprised and a few of the things he said led me to conclude that he didn't actually have a clue what he was talking about.

Can we safely assume he was talking balderdash?
pollyanna

Why didn't you ask for a list of ingredients? You have to be persistent, but you may be surprised at what is in the bread. GM soya anybody? Well I presume it is GM, most of it is.
Hairyloon

Why didn't you ask for a list of ingredients?

The monkey clearly didn't know and the organ grinder was not available.
dpack

um tiger bread ,with real tigers? Laughing
Nick

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/the-shocking-truth-about-bread-413156.html
LynneA

I know I can't eat tiger bread, as the glaze contains sesame.

Aside of sesame, I'm more worried about excessive soya and / or palm oil than a smidgen of lard.
12Bore

If asked, he should be able to produce a list of potential allergens specific to the product.
Hairyloon

If asked, he should be able to produce a list of potential allergens specific to the product.

Somebody should, but not necessarily the baker's gopher.
Pilsbury

Somebody should, but not necessarily the baker's gopher. yes he should, there shoukd be an easily readable chart with all the types of bakery goods with their allergens available just behind the counter. Anyone who works on the section should be able to lsy their hands on the list and tell the customer potential hazards, its not just down to the baker to know about . pollyanna

From 13 December it will be the law to display a list of all the possible allergens. Hairyloon

Somebody should, but not necessarily the baker's gopher. yes he should, there shoukd be an easily readable chart with all the types of bakery goods with their allergens available just behind the counter. Anyone who works on the section should be able to lsy their hands on the list and tell the customer potential hazards, its not just down to the baker to know about .
You may be right, but I got the impression that dealing with customers was not really part of his job description.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home