Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
boisdevie1

Not exactly foraging

Just been out gleaning spuds. And the machine has failed to harvest part of a row - I'm back tomorrow with the fork. Isn't gleaning fab? Does anyone else do it?
sean

It's nearly all dairy and sheep round here. I think it would be rustling rather than gleaning.
Gavin Bl

I guess technically its a bit naughty, but I suppose anyone who is harvesting by machine, isn't going to come back with a fork for the odd few kilos.

Interesting thought though - mostly grazing round our way too.
jamanda

It's not naughty at all, assuming you've asked the landowner.
ros

...or been asked to pick them up by the farmer as they don't want them regrowing through next year's crop.

Haven't bought any spuds for weeks here, but the last field isn't so good, centre of tubers look blighted Sad

we also get to smell when they're harvesting onions -then time it right and there'll be a bag full at the side of a sharp corner on the track when the lads don't take enough care with the trailer Very Happy
boisdevie1

Been out this morning and got about 40kg. Why bother growing them when you can get them for free!
sean

ros wrote:
-then time it right and there'll be a bag full at the side of a sharp corner on the track when the lads don't take enough care with the trailer Very Happy

My favourite ever road sign is a French one saying 'Attention Aux Betteraves' which can be loosely translated as Beware of The Beetroot.
Gavin Bl

Jamanda wrote:
It's not naughty at all, assuming you've asked the landowner.

yes, fair comment - I just need to get to know some, well any, landowners! Very Happy
boisdevie1

It's all very well to say 'ask the landowner'. Given the size of modern farms the landowner could live miles away - they don't actually leave a signpost in every field with their email address. But here in France nobody seems to give a bugger so that's OK.
tahir

boisdevie1 wrote:
here in France nobody seems to give a bugger so that's OK.

That's a great ethical stance Rolling Eyes
boisdevie1

tahir wrote:
boisdevie1 wrote:
here in France nobody seems to give a bugger so that's OK.

That's a great ethical stance Rolling Eyes

Here, gleaning is socially acceptable. Bit like overtaking on blind bends and never using indicators.
tahir

boisdevie1 wrote:
Here, gleaning is socially acceptable. Bit like overtaking on blind bends and never using indicators.

Like drink driving no doubt. So social acceptability overrides any issues of morality or ethics?
boisdevie1

The farmers don't care about what's left in the ground as they are going to plow it up real soon now. I can't imagine a farmer with 100 grands worth of machines going into his fields to dig up all those remaining potatoes. So isn't it more ethical and moral to use the leftovers? It could be almost described as Downsizery.
tahir

Personally I wouldn't want to presume anything in regards to someone else's property unless I'd discussed it with them first.
boisdevie1

Fair enough. I respect your opinion.
gythagirl

Another 'not exactly foraging' tale - harvesting mushrooms from the spent mushroom compost spread/lightly dug into the veg beds - terrific bonus Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home