Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
wellington womble

Numpty electrical repair

Please bear with me, my usual standard of electrics is changing a lightbulb.

Jenna has a car seat with speakers in it which connect to an MP3 headphone socket. Someone has pulled the seat out of the car, and torn the wire which plugs into the headphone socket. If I strip the wire back to the metal bits, bodge them together and tape the thing up with electrical tape, will that fix it? I assume we are in no real danger of electrocution from a tablet, even if I get it badly wrong.
tahir

Should be fine
dpack

it will work but using a section of connector block + tape will give a longer lasting and more effective repair (i avoided mentioning solder Laughing )
wellington womble

Too late to order anything. Pity, because I can't find the electrical tape now.

(I found a soldering iron while cleaning out the garage. Probably best avoided)
Hairyloon

(I found a soldering iron while cleaning out the garage. Probably best avoided)

Probably best practised with on some scrap: it would give a much better repair.
Get yourself some solder with lead in it though: is much easier to work with, even if it is illegal.
dpack

clean ends of wire by scraping with a sharp blade ,twist together, melt small blob of fluxed wire solder onto (cleaned) tip of iron, apply solder to wires, heat until it flows

or clean wire end and terminal on plug then solder as above ,slightly trickier as you need to get the wire and terminal to touch withone hand or a closes peg (or similar) and use the soldering iron with the other

tis pretty easy really Wink youtube probably has plenty of instructional videos Wink Wink
Nick

Twist the wires together and use superglue. For this it'll work grand.
dpack

aye but is superglue safer than solder Laughing
wellington womble

Probably not, I'm still recovering from the Easter bonnet glue-gun burns.

Thank you all. I will have a go.
OtleyLad

Best joining solution around are things called wago connectors. They are push fit, quick and permanent. Used by electricians everywhere. The lever type are suitable for finer/stranded cables. You can put them inside small (wago) boxes for a neater finish.
frewen

So how did you get on WW?
wellington womble

The superglue didn't work. I've yet to try anything else, as we're on holiday. Also, the clutch on the car smells awful, and needs sorting if we're to get home.
frewen

Boo and double boo then Sad
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home