Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing
gythagirl

Numpty Q, but when are mackerel in season?

Have promised OH a mackerel fishing trip, just one of the short jobbies to start with, from West Bay or Lyme, but I have NO idea when the blighters are around to be caught; I feel sure there's an expert out there to educate me Smile Thank you!
sean

Soon
Nature'sgrafter

and a few weeks later up north Laughing
Northern Boy

Fingers crossed they will be a bit earlier this year - everything else seems to be
gythagirl

Cheers, I will curb my impatience for a few weeks Smile
Nick

Water temperatures are maybe three weeks ahead of last year.

http://www.devonandcornwallwildswimming.co.uk/sea-temperature
Colin & Jan

Warm, settled weather is best. Some of the kayaking guys and girls have been catching them for a few weeks down your way.
gythagirl

Very Happy "warm, settled weather"...hmmm...
Colin & Jan

It's going to be a blazing hot summer because the BBC said so.
Bodrighy

It's going to be a blazing hot summer because the BBC said so.

Better get my umbrella checked out then.

Pete
gythagirl

Surely you believe everything the BBC says..?
iaf

I was fishing off Brixham Breakwater yesterday-they're starting to arrive, give it another month, try Hopes' Nose in Torquay; almost guaranteed to catch (any fish).
gardening-girl

Re: Numpty Q, but when are mackerel in season?

Have promised OH a mackerel fishing trip, just one of the short jobbies to start with, from West Bay or Lyme, but I have NO idea when the blighters are around to be caught; I feel sure there's an expert out there to educate me Smile Thank you!

We fish off the beach at Seatown,West Bexington is also good.
Will let you know when they start Wink
Treacodactyl

Any news anyone? It's been quite sunny and warm recently, surely they're almost jumping i the pan now? 12Bore

Irish Sea/Liverpool bay last week, according to a customer. Treacodactyl

Thanks 12Bore, looking at the tides towards the end of next week is looking good. Cool iaf

I fished Torquay pier Sunday, none about then. Tavascarow

As a rule of thumb when the swallows arrive to start & when they leave to end. Northern Boy

Still no sign of them off the SW Wales coast altimages

Went out for a sail on Sunday 18th May was towing a paravane on a handline with feathers and spiner caught a single eating size Makkie.

RATE THIS BIT OF KIT - as the boat moves forward the angled plastic wedge shaped vane dives down deep into the sea - best thing is once you've hooked a fish the vane inverts and comes to the surface indicating a catch.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-New-DIVING-PARAVANE-for-TROLLING-from-FISHING-BOAT-/120619235531?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item1c157778cb
Northern Boy

Well, they're here on the Gower. Some massive specimens as well - three bruisers went over 14 inches

iaf

I fished Torquay pier Sunday, none about then.

They're in now!
Northern Boy

Been a terrible year for them here in SW Wales. Treacodactyl

They're about across the channel from you NB. Smaller than last year.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home