Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
hotpantsnwellies

Weaner won't eat pelletts

I have 3 Oxford Sandy & Black Weaners (all between 11 and 13 weeks old). 2 are happy scoffing whatever I give them, but one will eat onlt fruit & Veg, and whatever he can root up. He refuses to eat the pellets (even when I mixed them with pulverised apple).

He was treated with antibiotics for a touch of Pneumonia the other week, but has recovered. I am worried that he isn't building up his strength by eating enough of the right things! Anyone got any top tips or ideas as to why he won't eat the Pellets?
judith

I've no idea why he wouldn't be eating them, but perhaps you could try mixing something like soya meal or milk powder in with the things he is eating for the time being. That way you will know he is at least getting some protein down. If that works, you could gradually start mixing the pellets in with the feed.
Alternatively, he might be prepared to eat the pellets if they are soaked first and mixed in with his veggies.
Gertie

I would agree with Judith and say what about soaking his pellets to make them more palatable.

When one of our hens was a bit off colour I used to mix some live yogurt in her feed, which she found easier to eat.
dougal

I am NOT a pig-person.

But I wonder if this might be explained by a tooth problem?
Gertie

dougal wrote:
I am NOT a pig-person.

But I wonder if this might be explained by a tooth problem?

That would make sense, dougal! (I never thought about the fact that he would have teeth now Embarassed ).
judith

Shocked at the thought of getting in there to find out!
Mr O

We start ours on creep feed pellets which are layer pellet size, then move them up to the finisher size. Have you tried smaller pellets?
alison

Try giving a wet feed.

We give all our feeds wet and they can't get enough of it. When we fed pellets they would often turn their nose up at them.
Bodger

He'll eat them when he's hungry enough. I'd lay off the fruit and veg and not give him a choice.
Rob R

bodger wrote:
He'll eat them when he's hungry enough. I'd lay off the fruit and veg and not give him a choice.

Blimey, this is a blast form the past!

You're much better off laying off food completely for a feed or three, and then reintroducing (just) pellets. Pigs aren't really designed to eat all-cereal diets so occasionally they go off their food until their guts get cleared out. Withholding food (plenty of clean water) seems to work better than giving them a choice.
Bodger

Eat yer crusts sonny. Very Happy
Jo S

Luckily, none of my pigs have ever turned their noses up at any grub but I agree that your best bet will be to stop giving the good stuff til he starts eating his proper grub, otherwise there's no incentive for him to tuck in!

One of my dogs is very fussy so only gets her meat when she's eaten her biscuits. It doesn't work every day but she no longer looks like a rescue case!

Try other ways of feeding it, smaller pellets, soften them with water etc. Is he being bullied by the others? They might have told him to keep away and a pig's teeth is a very good reason to stay clear!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home