Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
RichardW

What actualy is a live stock "movement"?

What does the word "movement" actualy mean in respect to the live stock movement restrictions? Is it only a move if its to a different holding number or using transport?

Hypertheticaly Rolling Eyes I have 3 fields all on the same holding number but sepperated by having to cross a road so no two fields are directly connected. One field is split into paddocks & the other two are whole. I assume that moves around the paddocks are fine but not to the other fields? Even if all the grass is eaten up in one field & the other is ready to graze. In which case fodder would have to be brought in.

Justme
RichardW

Just found this

Further Easing of Movement Restrictions

WALES ONLY

Further easing of the FMD movement restrictions come into effect from midnight on Friday 10 August 2007 to mitigate acute animal welfare issues. BUT you must have a vet inspection & a special licence from DEFRA / Nation Assembley for wales

10/08/07 - Licensing of single movements of FMD susceptible livestock directly between two defined premises necessitated on the grounds of acute animal welfare

So I think that "no food" would count as "acute animal welfare issues"

Justme
Marionb

I thought you werent allowed to move animals from one field to another even if they were adjoining each other.... sounds daft but thats how I interpreted it?? Confused
alison

My friend had one of his cows lose a calf 2 days ago, on some other land of his. Defra wouldn't give hima a licence to move the cow back to the rest of the milking herd to relieve her of her bursting udder.
guyandzoe

Moving animals within a single holding is surely not a 'movement'. Cows are not being milked in the fields afterall!!

Best bet is to ring your local Defra, Seerad, welsh office, whatever and get the biz direct from the horses mouth. This sort of stuff is not to played with, there really is too much at stake.

guy
RichardW

guyandzoe wrote:
Moving animals within a single holding is surely not a 'movement'. Cows are not being milked in the fields afterall!!

guy

Cows were given a special licence to allow them to cross a road to get to the milking parlour. So all other moves over a road seem to be not allowed.

guyandzoe wrote:
Best bet is to ring your local Defra, Seerad, welsh office, whatever and get the biz direct from the horses mouth. This sort of stuff is not to played with, there really is too much at stake.guy

I agree, but the offence will be mine (IE I will the the one fined as its my holding) but have been carried out by a third party as they have animals on my land.

Do I in effect turn my self in?

Justme
Rob R

We've taken it to mean any movement that involves a trailer. Parts of our holding are nine miles apart & it's very inconvenient not being able to get next years calving groups together for the bull. Twisted Evil

The other day we had someones escapees rounded up into our paddock; they certainly didn't stay there to ruin the clean grazing system!
VSS

Just me, keep a close eye on the welsh assembly website, they are posting more and more general movement licenses all the time.

http://new.wales.gov.uk/topics/environmentcountryside/ahw/disease_surveillance_control/foot_and_mouth_disease/?lang=en

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk
RichardW

Yeh been watching that for a while. If you apply on welfare grounds you could get permision for a move after midnight friday. As the move allegedly happened before then I doubt it was applied for.

Oh the dumped sheep can be moved now as they are allowing RTA animals to be moved. Not sure who is responsible though.

Justme
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home