Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
vegplot

In architecture, as a far as I can see, simpler is always better. Good stuff: when can you start?

We're going to clear the site very soon. The final peice of the jigsaw will slot into place soon the decision to use either Anglesey Building Control or a third party - it looks like it's going to be the latter - more costly at the outset but cheaper in the long run..
RichardW

Look forward to seeing it develop.
Nicky cigreen

yay good news, will be great to follow your progress
tahir

About blinking time Wink
vegplot

About blinking time Wink

Quality takes time Wink
ted34300

I have just seen this so quickly bookmarking. I will read back through the thread over the week to see how much cross over we have
We are in Llanrhyddlad-close to Church bay
We are nearing completion of restoring a stone ruin and adding a hemp extension. All Lime and recycled materials
I had the frame made of Snowdon Larch, and I get my Lime and materials from Ned at The Natural Building company near Llanwrust. I have busted a gut recycling all the roof slates. Apart from the frame we have done everything ourselves, the frame worked out cheaper to source out due to structural engineering costs
I am using a private building controller what helps.
Hairyloon

So that's 4 years since you began planning the project? I hope my proposed home gets off the ground quicker!
Note to self: avoid Anglesey!
Learn to speak Welsh like a native and change your name to Jones. Wink
nickdugs

Good to see that things are coming on. Finally moved to north Wales just before xmas after leaving the RAF and doing a bit of travelling. Now working at Valley. So, if you need a hand with anything then I'm available and will happily help with groundworks, building, roofing ,carpentry, plumbing, electrics etc.
Also. if you need anything from the Conwy/Llanrwst area where I travel from nearly evry day, then I'll be happy to pick stuff up (ted 34300 note). I do drive a van and so size/quantity is usually not so much of a problem.

If I drive backwards and forwards so often, then you might as well make use of the fact.....
vegplot

You're a hero already. Smile nickdugs

I know, and modest as well.......

Laughing
nickdugs

Any news on building control or any progression with the build? vegplot

Still in progress. Redesign of roof structure saving us a lot of hassle and money. nickdugs

Sounds good. Wait out. Barefoot Andrew

Wait out.

He will unless that roof design gets finished Wink
A.
nickdugs

Another 9 months and a new year, have you given up or are you still battling the brown envelope brigade? vegplot

We're starting this year as soon as we've sold one of the houses and the weather improves. Hairyloon

We're starting this year as soon as we've sold one of the houses and the weather improves.
Which is it: this year, or as soon as the weather improves?
tahir

Wassup vp, started yet? vegplot

In a couple of weeks the ground work will be starting. vegplot

The contractors came in today to start preparation of the site.

We've started at last.

jamanda

At last!

(Can you shrink your photies a bit? x)
vegplot

At last!

(Can you shrink your photies a bit? x)

Just for you Smile
jamanda

That's better! I can see the whole thing now! It's very exciting isn't it? jamanda

Re: New strawbale build, Anglesey

If you are interested in volunteering to help with a straw bale house on Anglesey, near Rhosneigr, then we'd like to hear from you. My wife and I purchased land on Anglesey nearly 6 years ago, we have provisional plans for an oak framed house with lime rendered straw bale walls, and is practicable a straw bales insulated roof. It will make full use of solar thermal, solar PV and possibly wind (if we can get planning permission). One of the aims is not to use a drop of cement in the whole of the construction. We hope to start building later this year or, at the latest, next year.

If you have experience in straw bale build and wish to lend a hand you or wish to gain some experience then please either drop me an email or response to the post. We will be publishing a web site soon at www.builditwithstraw.co.uk (it's not live yet so please be patient).

This is a serious attempt to demonstrate that straw bale building can become a mainstream building technique rather than seen as some hippy way of living. We want to involve the local authority and the community as much as possible as we, like many others, see renewable building technology as the way forward.

6 years since this post!
vegplot

The view of the mountains you can see in the second pic. ranges from Conwy mountain almost to Bardsey Island...

sean

www.builditwithstraw.co.uk seems to be down Wink

Congratulations on getting going. Smile
vegplot

Re: New strawbale build, Anglesey

6 years since this post!

and 13 years since we bought the plot.
vegplot

That link doesn't work either. Wink

It will do after Christmas when I'll have a few days to get a site together.
alison

Fantastic news. Very Happy mochyn

Woohoo! I shall go to the top of our land and wave Wink Barefoot Andrew

What they all said VP Very Happy now get on with it, chop chop. Wink
A.
12Bore

wav wav tahir

Yay! Ty Gwyn

Glad things are starting to move for you both,

Looking at that view,is the lower land what they call the ``Foot Fields``?

Many years back i purchased a Stallion that was leased out to a farmer who lived near Bodedern,but had land in that low area,just before Gwalchmai,one could see the dykes that drained the land.
nickdugs

My offer of help is still valid. Live near Llanrwst and commute to Valley, so if you need anything picking up/dropping off (with my van) then just let me know. vegplot

My offer of help is still valid. Live near Llanrwst and commute to Valley, so if you need anything picking up/dropping off (with my van) then just let me know.

Thanks Nick. Living in Llanrwst is ideal as you'll be close to Ned Scharer's Natural Building Centre.

You're welcome to pop in for a visit just drop be a line. 07772653489.
vegplot

Looking at that view,is the lower land what they call the ``Foot Fields``?

I've no idea to be honest. The topography is very varied. Over the ridge is marsh ground.
vegplot

The build process is critical to this project unlike a brick and block house, which can be left partially built for extended periods, we have to ensure we get a weather tight roof on as quickly as possible.

The current thinking is to get to the ground floor plinth including the limecrete floor so we have a level surface to work on. Then the roof timbers are erected, braced, and sheathed which will then be craned onto temporary supports slightly higher than it's final height. This will provide a shelter while the walls are being built. Once the walls are up the roof is then lowered onto the bales compressing them when we can then get on with lime rendering the strawbales.

We have to consider the weather while the roof is on temporary supports and requires careful planning and co-ordination.
RichardW

Is it possible to erect a tent type structure over it all?

Might cost but will allow you to get on with it even if the weather is pants.
vegplot

Is it possible to erect a tent type structure over it all?

Might cost but will allow you to get on with it even if the weather is pants.

If we can come up with a solution to support the roof while the walls are being built then we don't need to. The roof has a large overhand and will provide plenty of shelter. One problem will be wind but if we get good long range forecast for at least a week, preferably two then it should be a problem.
Ty Gwyn

I was under the impression that you would have had a wood frame that supported the roof independent of the walls,similar as they do in the wood frame houses they build,then build the straw walls under cover.

Is there a reasoning for the straw bales to support the roof other than the weight of the roof to compress the bales?
vegplot

I was under the impression that you would have had a wood frame that supported the roof independent of the walls,similar as they do in the wood frame houses they build,then build the straw walls under cover.

Is there a reasoning for the straw bales to support the roof other than the weight of the roof to compress the bales?

Yes. It removes the need for a timber frame Smile. It's called load bearing straw bale.
RichardW

Is there not an industry standard way of doing this now?

What will be the roof construction & cover?
vegplot

Is there not an industry standard way of doing this now?

What will be the roof construction & cover?

It's not overly different from normal roof construction but without the advantage of building on top of a stable platform. Load bearing Straw bale walls become very strong and rigid once the roof is on but are less stable prior to that make building roofs in-situ more uncertain.

There's nothing special about the roof.
vegplot

RichardW

So quite a bit more than just a roof.

As its so low to the ground I would think about having some sleeper type beams milled & make jenga type piles to support the roof / second floor.

Lowering it could be done using acrow props.

Re milling, if your having a wood fired any thing installed then buy a lorry load & get two flats cut to make them parallel. No point paying for more than is needed & you can firewood them when no longer needed.
vegplot

So quite a bit more than just a roof.

The truss incorporates the first floor joists so it is a little different but not overly so. It'll be strong. The truss manufacturer is looking at designing lifting points into the structure.

As its so low to the ground I would think about having some sleeper type beams milled & make jenga type piles to support the roof / second floor.

Lowering it could be done using acrow props.

That's the idea. My only concern is lateral wind forces but as the wall raising isn't been done in winter that shouldn't be too much of a concern.

Re milling, if your having a wood fired any thing installed then buy a lorry load & get two flats cut to make them parallel. No point paying for more than is needed & you can firewood them when no longer needed.

Good idea!
RichardW

Re the log length & milling. You could either get it delivered direct to you & then get a mobile mill onsite for a day, or get it delivered to the mill site & then redelivered to you. Cost wise prob not much in it. Either way I know a man with a mobile bandsaw mill. vegplot

Even better Smile Cathryn

While searching for solar panel information I noticed a serious flaw in your design. You've got a bit marked roof storage space! Just think how much stuff you can store up there never to be used again! vegplot

While searching for solar panel information I noticed a serious flaw in your design. You've got a bit marked roof storage space! Just think how much stiffs you can store up there never to be found again!

I have a lime pit for that.
vegplot

Another step closer. Architect has finished all the drawings and building regs inspector appointed (Assent Building Control). We can start building! tahir

Excellent, hope all goes well through regs mochyn

Excellent! We need to see you chaps soon Smile tahir

Excellent! We need to see you chaps soon Smile

When are you coming to us?
mochyn

October, hopefully Smile tahir

The kids have been practicing their card skills over the hols...

Luckily for you they seem to have gone off Uno
mochyn

Puo. tahir

Laughing mochyn

And now people are wondering what on earth 'puo' means... Wink tahir

Let them wonder Wink mochyn

Ooh: you little devil! vegplot

Pucker Up Oatcake. mochyn

Could be... vegplot

We appear to have made a start...

Behemoth

Like. Tavascarow

Cool!
A definite case of all good things come to those who wait.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
tahir

Hallelujah! Smile vegplot

It's been a long, long time in the coming. gz

nice colour soil...like clay Cool Very Happy

good to see the job started !
RichardW

Bout bloody time lol vegplot

nice colour soil...like clay Cool Very Happy

good to see the job started !

We performed a test on the solid from a test pit dug earlier down to a metre. It looks like it has a lot of clay but it's not usable as it contains too much fine granular material. If you squeeze a some in your hand it crumbles rather than clumps.
gz

better for building on then, rather than potting! Very Happy nickdugs

Congrats, about time, hope you cracked the sparkling elderflower fizz! nickdugs

Are you sure that's your plot, looks a bit dry to me........

Moved house. in Pen now, but wifey still works @ Bodnant so pick-ups of lime should still be ok
Fee

Yeyyy! How's it been going since? vegplot

Sometimes life doesn't quite work out how you planned. The dream has stalled and the plot is for sale although I haven't given up hope.

https://www.lucasestateagents.com/fulldetails.vbhtml?property-for-sale&luc1001351&gallt-y-mwg_rhosneigr_ll635rt&fbclid=IwAR0DaYD7Ns5gBKho_IoRcAFl1TBl-PksjeVBL4ALUKwpnOjawk5Acm0lW2E
Mistress Rose

What a shame. Hope everything works out for you for the best. sean

What MR said. dpack

ditto. tahir

Good luck with everything VP sgt.colon

Sorry to hear things have stalled, I hope you get it sorted.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Home Home Home Home Home