Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
sickpup

dock leaves

Do dock leaves have any other use than helping nettle stings, i have an abudance of them in my garden and wondered if you can eat them.
jamanda

Re: dock leaves

sickpup wrote:
Do dock leaves have any other use than helping nettle stings, i have an abudance of them in my garden and wondered if you can eat them.

Hello Sickpup. Welcome to the site.

I'd have thought the young leaves were edible - but Cab will be along to tell you for sure. Of course is more than one type of dock.
boisdevie1

Breed rabbits. They love them.
nora

If you have the little sweet dock leaves you could make Dock Pudding. (don't use the big variety though)

Traditional Recipe

Ingredients

2 lb fresh, sweet variety dock leaves (polygonum distorta)

2 large onions, or 2 large bunches of spring onions

½ lb nettles

A handful of oatmeal

A knob of butter

Salt and pepper to taste

Method

Wash and clean the dock leaves and remove the stalks

Wash and clean the nettles

Chop the onions

Fry the vegetables in the butter until tender

Add the oatmeal and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring to prevent the mixture from sticking, the pudding is then ready for eating or for storing in a sealed container

If you get good at it you can then enter the World Dock Pudding Championship in Mytholmroyd Laughing
cab

Gosh... Well there are many sorts of dock, but none of the genuine dock (or docken where I come from) are particularly good to eat. They're one of those ones that a forager knows you can eat but always wonders why one would.

Some people who have a high tolerance for bitter flavours eat them and enjoy them. Give one of the leaves (pick a young and tender one) a very tentative little nibble and spit (a technique useful to foragers!), see what you think.

Some of the docks other than common (broadleaved) dock are more edible. Very young leaves of curled dock are almost enjoyable, there is a red veined one (now often sold by seed merchants, I believe that what they sell as red veined sorrel is the same plant) which is slightly more palatteable when mixed with sweeter salad leaves (and looks great), and the regrettably rather rare monks rhubarb is better.

As always with these polygonaceae, don't gorge yourself with it. Its rather like rhubarb or sorrel; in theory if you binge on it then the oxalic acid becomes toxic.

Docks make the occasional appearance on our dinner table. Not so fond of the dock puddings myself, but I'll add a leaf in with lettuce and wild herbs in a risotto, for example.

Do I remember correctly that Gil made dock wine? Or did I dream that up?
gil

cab wrote:
Do I remember correctly that Gil made dock wine? Or did I dream that up?

You must have dreamt it Laughing
I did make Sorrel, and also Ground Elder.

Young dock leaves can be cooked, and are supposed to go well with ham dishes. Never fancied em meself.
RichardW

Goats love em fresh or dried
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home