Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
bubble

earthy saffron milk cups

Cooked nicely I rate these equal if not slightly better than ceps,maybe its because they are rarer.Anyway I made a LONG GRAIN RICE PILAF WITH SOME OF THESE, AND I USED 1 MED.ONION FINELY CHOPPED,1 1/2 POUNDS OF SAFFRONS ,2 CLOVES GARLIC,TEASP. OF FRESH THYME AND GREEK OREGANO,4 TBS GOOD OLIVE OIL,LITTLE BUTTER,2 CUPS OF RICE ,4 OF WATER,GLASS OF DRY WHITE WINE,SALT AND PEPPER,FRESH PARMESAN AT PLATE-UP and it was delicious[for 4-5 people]

kyoto

Nice pictures - What are the green/black bits on the gills? Do you remove these before cooking?
bubble

the green /black bits are quite normal ,its the colour of the milk[juice] after a few hours,no you don't remove them ;these smc's were exposed to dessicating wind before they were picked.In larder fridge they can last up to a week[the young ones]The orange colour you see is where i've cut 2 or 3 to show the section through;after a little while that orange turns green/black.
kyoto

Interesting ... we've stayed clear of the milk caps up to now. Is there any chance of confusing these with anything else? And what do they taste like?
bubble

lac. deterrimus is very similar [found on diff. soil with norwegian pine],but you must make a section and both have orange milk.Taste is mild mushroomy earthy.Some books say its not as esteemed as people say ,but I disagree with that .
kyoto

Thanks for the info Bubble. Much appreciated Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home