Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
mochyn

Strawberry recipes, anyone?

We have the beginnings of a glut here. What shall I do with them?
wellington womble

Jam!
dpack

wine

liqueurs

fruit leather,(dried lumps is horrid unless you have a freeze dryer)

they freeze ok for puddings etc but not for raw use

for using fresh i tend to cut them up,add a bit of balsamic vinegar(black pepper is a matter of preference),add a bit of sugar and leave them over night in the fridge
mochyn

I've made more jam in my life than anyone should have too Smile Hmm. I'll slice and dry some though.
dpack

for drying i have found blitzed in a blender (tatie masher might work)and spread thin works better than sliced

nice snack as fruit leather or shred for adding to museli,pancakes etc

i spose they would work as the fruit content in pemmican
mochyn

In the past I've sliced them thinly then put them on racks with a cloth over them on top of the Esse. Works fine Smile
dpack

in a dehydrator the outside went crispy and sealed in the damp centre with mine until i tried mashing em
wellington womble

Could you make strawberry curd? Or ice cream, everyone loves icecream (don't they?!).
wellington womble

On second thoughts, what about a strawberry schnapps? Easier than wine, and very nice as a winter shot (like slow gin) or diluted with fuzzy water for a long cold drink. Rhubarb is my favourite. I make it in vast quantities in a plastic storage box under the bed and give it tobreketives for Christmas.

(Recipe: mix fruit with half it's weight in sugar. Cover with vodka. Strain and bottle. Keeps for ages.)

Warning: The Rhubarb version is a bit lethally alcoholic without tasting
like it and sneaks up on you. I'd bet a strawberry one could do with less sugar, too.
mochyn

We already do strawberry vodka Smile and I find curds over-sweet (except the citrus ones). First lot of slices are almost dry. I'll freeze some nashed for ice creams thought, and perhaps I'll make some lollies...
Jam Lady

To Freeze Whole Strawberries (IFF = individually flash frozen)
Wash and gently dry strawberries, then hull.
Place on a baking sheet, spread out so they don't touch, and freeze until solid.
Transfer to plastic resealable bags or airtight containers and store in freezer for up to six months.

Strawberry Coulis - Makes 2 cups.
400 grams strawberries, washed and hulled, about two pints
1 Tablespoon sugar, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon lemon or lime juice
1/4 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar.
Combine strawberries, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, and sugar in a blender or food processor. Pulse until berries are somewhat chopped then blend until smooth and the sauce looks glossy. Taste and adjust sugar if needed.
Pour into small freezer containers, leaving 1/2 an inch of headspace at the top of the jar, and freeze.
Serve over pound cake, vanilla ice cream, or whatever catches your fancy.

Limeade Strawberry Concentrate
3/4 cup strawberry coulis
1/2 cup sugar or whole cane sugar
1 cup lime juice (approximately 8 limes)
Mix ingredients together and freeze in ice cube trays. When solid, remove from tray (will be softer than water ice) and pack in rigid container with wax paper or plastic wrap between layers. Work quickly to return to freezer.
To serve: In a glass, stir together 1 cup cold water or club soda and two frozen cubes of concentrate and stir to combine.
Nice, but lime flavor is somewhat dominant
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home