Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Finsky

Oak 'slices'

I've been given couple of HUGE 'slices' from oak tree trunk..about 2"thick. They are 'fresh' so I need to ask some advice for how to best dry them so they don't split and fall apart.
And some ideas for what to make/use them for?????
I love all things wooden...particularly useful every day items and if not quite for everyday use, something practical anyway.
First thing that comes to my mind is a chopping board.. Rolling Eyes
But then I think of the size (and weight)....Just one would take most of my kitchen counter Rolling Eyes
Perharps some sort of 'dough kneeding board'?..my gran had one which wasn't scrubbed after each use but just scraped clean and fresh flour rubbed into grain and before each use it was just brushed 'clean'..no dust could get into grooves as flour was there.
But is oak suitable wood to associate with food?
Anyhow...flood me with good ideas...please Very Happy
perlogalism

That's a nice problem to have Smile
It sounds like your slices are much bigger than these that I cut from a Horse Chestnut tree. Simply put a belt sander across one face and hey presto: a perfect platter for (in this instance, Game pie), Cheese, Bread, whatever. I did buy some food grade oil to seal them but never got around to it Rolling Eyes

Lorrainelovesplants

oak and horse chestnut arnt food friendly woods - sycamore is really safe. There are loads of things you could do with oak slices - its getting it to dry and season without cracking.
We store all Kieran's wood under the bench in the shed - its stable re temperature there - some does split, but most dosnt.
Professional wood blanks are usually sealed with wax to try and limit cracking due to moisture leaving too quickly.
Bodrighy

If it is cut in slices then there is a fair chance it will split. If you put it in a polythene bag (if you can find one big enough) and leave for a year or so. Wood has different density of moisture from the outside in and in slices the outside will often open up and split. What is needed is to try and slow down the rate of drying as much as possible.
As Lorraine said oak isn't the best wood for foods as it has a lot of tannin acid in it. It is unlikely to poison you but will turn metals black if used with it e.g. knives on a chopping board. Bet use would be to make some legs and make it into a rustic stool or something like that.

Pete
Finsky

BIG thank you for your ideas cheers
Well..I have managed to surprise myself..I did put the disks into HUUGE bags and though not fastened they are in log shed...I didn't know that I knew about slow drying (or perharps I was just trying to be 'tidy' Rolling Eyes )
Well that is first hurdle sorted..and fingers crossed for succesful crack free 'seasoning' Laughing
Hmm...not quite right with foods neither...must get pretty smile out and hope to get some sycamore slices...I like the platter and that PIE..BEAUTIFUL..too nice looking to eat.
Little stool would be useful.... Very Happy I already have old oak stool but it is hardly adult bum size.. Embarassed
Hairyloon

You can buy food grade polyethylene glycol, and soak the wood in it: it replaces the water so it doesn't shrink.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home