Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
tahir

oak vs chestnut

We will be building a trellisy type thing for a wisteria round the patio.

I'm guessing green oak or chestnut would be suitable but which will be more durable?
Treacodactyl

I was just wondering what the wood Adams Apples use for their stakes. I've just been removing a few after 4 years and theirs no sign of rot. Looking on their site they say they'll last for 20 years but they just call them 'untreated hardwood'.
mousjoos

If chestnut is easily available, that would be my choice
Mistress Rose

I don't think there is a lot of difference between oak and chestnut. They both contain tannins, and in the coppice/green wood industry they are often used fairly interchangably for general outdoor work. I would expect both to last about 20 years, but make sure you get all heartwood as the sapwood tends to rot.
tahir

I would expect both to last about 20 years, but make sure you get all heartwood as the sapwood tends to rot.

Any idea on suppliers? Most of the ones I've seen online don't specify heart or sapwood
Mistress Rose

If you can, buy from a local sawmill and make sure of what you are getting. I use a supplier in Surrey, Homewoods. Not sure if he does what you want or if he supplies that far away, but we have been happy with the sawn oak posts and roundwood chestnut posts he has supplied us over several years. The roundwood may contain sapwood as well, but most of it is taken off with the debarking I think, and by the nature of the shape, you only lose a small amount round the outside with time.
tahir

There's a chestnut woods round here but he seems to be more interested in firewood than timber. I'll have a hunt
Mistress Rose

Might be worth asking. If you want round poles, all you need to do is debark them and they should be quite suitable. They are usually grown to 4-8" before felling and if he has some poles with the right length of straight in for your needs, he might be willing to sell you a few to process yourself.
quixoticgeek

Oak will last for ever pretty much. Chestnut has a soil contact life of about 25 years.

Chestnut tends to be managed by coppice and will likely be more sustainable.

If it was me, I would use Chestnut.

J
onemanband

I would expect both to last about 20 years, but make sure you get all heartwood as the sapwood tends to rot.

Any idea on suppliers? Most of the ones I've seen online don't specify heart or sapwood

I can highly recommend these people in Hertfordshire.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home