Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
shadiya

Off grid internet help

I've been happily living in conditions that yr average bod would describe as primitive but now my internet is refusing to play and the man at the phone coop says I should throw away my plug in broadband thing and get a new one..... easy for him to say, he's in paid employment. In the absence of actual cash, has anybody got any ideas? I've been using a SAGEM 800, which was supplied to me some years ago when I still lived in a house with sockets and it has worked fine up until recently. I have re installed the software several times but it's still not happy even though all the lights come on and it appears to be working. It says error 619 remote computer doesn't respond mostly, which means nothing to me as I am a technological buffoon, but the phone coop say the problem is my end. I don't have an inverter and can't afford to buy one at the moment and I do like to play on the interweb.... Crying or Very sad help please clever other peeps
shadiya

ps. in English please.... Wink remember the buffoon bit!
vegplot

Can I clarify that it's your router that has a problem and you can't use on which requires mains leccy?
shadiya

I think so. Though I suppose it could be the laptop but I haven't had any problems plugging other things into the same USB port.
vegplot

Search for usb broadband router. You may find a replacement reasonably cheaply.
shadiya

doh! I didn't think of replacing it, what a muppet I am... Embarassed

I blame the disparaging man from the technical support team who made it sound like I was attempting to access the internet with a dinosaur bone.....

A feeble excuse but all I can manage at short notice Very Happy
happytechie

Do you know someone with a working ADSL line nearby?

if so take your router there, enter the same settings that they use and check to see if you can connect. If you can't it's probably the router, if you can it's probably the ISP.

do you know why it stopped working?
tahir

shadiya wrote:

I blame the disparaging man from the technical support team who made it sound like I was attempting to access the internet with a dinosaur bone.....

I've got one at home, I'll try and remember to bring it in tomorrow. PM me your address.
mochyn

tahir wrote:
shadiya wrote:

I've got one at home,....

What, a feeble excuse or a dinosaur bone?
shadiya

Absolutely no idea why it stopped working, though there have been a few niggles over the last few months which seemed to go away when I re installed the software as advised by tech bod. He says the plug in stuff is just poor technology and has rightly been replaced. I have no idea but as I don't have mains, I don't really have a choice at the moment. I don't have any neighbours who I could ask unfortunately.
tahir

OK speedtouch modem leaving tonight, NO IDEA on how to set it up, always used routers. Anyone here know how to do it?
Gervase

The Speedtouch drivers should be here: http://www.btopenworld.com/drivers
Barefoot Andrew

Different ISPs might supply different variants of the 330 drivers. if there is any doubt you could get the drivers direct from Thompson, the manufacturers:-

http://www.thomson.net/GlobalEnglish/broadband-uk/Pages/home-uk.aspx

A.

PS "Different variants" - hmm, bit of a tautology Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home