Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Will

Offally good

Made faggots for the first time in ages last night. Dead easy and absolutely delicious. I had them with rice and some red cabbage/cider/raisin mix which had been marinading in the freezer for weeks. Mushy peas (or, according to St Delia, "a puree of dried split peas") are the usual accompaniment.

Pre-heat the oven to Gas 4, 180C

Take 3/4lb liver, 4oz bacon in the piece and 6oz belly pork. Chop into cubes and get them cosy in the food processor with a couple of peeled and quartered onions. Blitz into a soggy mess.

Stir in some finely chopped sage and about 3-4oz white breadcrumbs - enough to make the mixture stick together. Season well.

Grease a shallow oven dish well. Make 12-15 balls of mixture and put them in the oven dish. Pour over about 1/2 to 1 pint of beef stock and cover with foil. Cook in the oven for 30-40 mins, then take the foil off and cook for another 10 mins. They're done when the juices run clear.

Hmmmm....offal.... Laughing
judith

Oooh faggots. I used to eat those with my Dad because no one else in the family would touch them. Served up with mashed potatoes and a tin of marrowfat peas - it was our guilty secret!
But I've never tried making them myself. I think that will have to be remedied soon. Thanks for posting the recipe.
twoscoops

Thanks Will. I've always fancied having a go at them, and keep meaning to order some caul. You haven't used it, so I might try your method.
Will

They work pretty well with any sort of offal, though heart tends to be a bit tough. I guess caul would keep it together better. I've seen other recipes without the pork or bacon and more breadcrumbs, and also roasting the meat in the stock for a bit before blitzing it, but these seem to work fine.
Jan

That sounds nice! Will have to try it.
2steps

have always wondered what faggots were. sounds nice, have to try them some time
Nanny

offally good

i wonder if you could put them in a muffin tin instead of the caul...

that might help them retain their shape a bit better

i wonder if i still have mine come to that..........
Jonnyboy

Now I know what to do with my lambs caul.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home