Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Jamanda

Office Professional Plus 2016

I am in the process of buying the above through the scheme my work has arranged with Microsoft. It is asking me if I want to buy an "Office Professional Plus 2016 Backup DVD" which actually costs more than the software itself.

Do I need this? Can I not just back it up on to my external hard drive?
jema

no freaking idea!
Jamanda

no freaking idea!

Fair enough. It just strikes me as way of getting me to pay unnecessary dosh out - a bit like extra insurance stuff at the cash point.
Jamanda

I think I can order it separately in the future should I need it.
Treacodactyl

Are you just buying a download? If so, charging extra to post out a pile of DVDs sounds reasonable.
Jamanda

Are you just buying a download? If so, charging extra to post out a pile of DVDs sounds reasonable.

Yes I have bought it as a download. But do I need the DVDs? is what I wondered. (I'm pretty sure I can buy them separately should they ever be needed.)
tahir

You shouldn't need the dvd dpack

if it is like photoshop the download should come with various codes and emails that will allow you to redownload/ reload it if necessary (until they stop supporting that version which will probably be in about 3 new versions time).

it should not be a problem for several years but after that you might have to buy a new version(or use open office/libre office )
Chez

I think you can do a thing when you install it which creates your own backup, which means you shouldn't need their disks. I think there should be an option to do the thing as you go through the install process.

I think the thing is called mirroring? Or something?
dpack

a full back up to an external drive will mirror your entire pooter including os,programs and files. Wink Jamanda

a full back up to an external drive will mirror your entire pooter including os,programs and files. Wink

I think is is probably the way to go.
dpack

it does give some degree of continuity in case of hd failure ,lightning on the phone lines,electric vermin etc etc . wellington womble

electric vermin

Very Happy

I have visions of little battery powered critters running about like remote control cars.
dpack

if only electric vermin were so cute,the current crop seem to encrypt one's data and demand a fee for an unlock key that might or might not arrive.

less imaginative ones just bot your machine and spam the rest of the world.

one of my favourites turned all of iran's hex centrifuges up to such a speed they broke and seems to have got loose although it can find suitable hosts none seem to be connected to the right sort of kit for it to break anything else(so far) but it might be a bit annoying in your sugar factory or laundry if it finds a centrifuge attached to the right host etc.
Shane

You don't need the DVD. When you make your purchase you'll get access to download the installation files and will be given the serial numbers to activate the MS Office programmes. Just keep a copy of the downloaded files and a record of the serial numbers in case you ever need to reinstall. Jamanda

You don't need the DVD. When you make your purchase you'll get access to download the installation files and will be given the serial numbers to activate the MS Office programmes. Just keep a copy of the downloaded files and a record of the serial numbers in case you ever need to reinstall.

Thanks Shane. That is what I have done.
Nick

a full back up to an external drive will mirror your entire pooter including os,programs and files. Wink

This will not work with all operating systems.
dpack

This will not work with all operating systems.

that seems a bit poor of the writers Shocked
Nick

Not really. Some os security/anti pirate measures mean they can only be linked to a single hdd or motherboard, without going thru tech support.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home