Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
naturegirl

oil free farming

Did anyone see the programme on BBC 2 Natural World about Rebecca Hosking investigating how to transform her family's farm in Devon into a low energy farm for the future? Fascinating, especially the smallholders she visited and how much food they could produce on a small plot.
baldybloke

Caught the second half of the programme. Thought it was excellent. Think it is repeated on Sunday so will try and see the whole programme.
Treacodactyl

Missed it so we'll catch it on iPlayer a bit later. Here's the details if anyone else wants them: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00hs8zp
Azura Skye

I just watched this - thanks so much for posting about it.
I thought it was fantastic and brought a tear to my eye.

I'm going to try and see if I can hold a mini event where people from my Transition Group can come and watch this.

very moving.
tahir

Interesting, the latest copy of Agroforestry News available from (www.agroforestry.co.uk) has an article on Martin's favourite forest garden crops, well worth reading.
jag_clarke

what are we going to use then instead of oil? you need alot of torque to power equipment. tractors are often used for extended periods of time making electric batterys unpractical. id like to see some development into steam tractors to run on wood. with a modern automated boiler with landa sensors they could be clean and practical. of course more wood would need to be grown for this purpose (acting as a carbon sink).
dpack

steam works ,the best kit is mostly out of patent but building them is very pricey as there is no mass production infrastructure as there was 150 years ago
polyface farming reduces energy input a lot as does grazing rather than concentrate feeds but tractors are very useful and oil seems the best way to make them work at the mo
i dont fancy hand haymaking or wheat harvest unless the whole village turns up to help
arvo

John Seymour advocates animal power. I think mules are his favorite. He's got a big chart saying how much bother they are vs how much work they do. Certainly vg for ploughing and carting stuff.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home