Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Treacodactyl

Oil prices

Anyone else notices the slide in the price of oil? It's down about 40% from its July peak and is now less than $90 a barrel.

Has anyone noticed things like petrol, diesel & heating oil becoming cheaper and will this mean cheaper fertiliser? I expect it'll take the gas and electric companies several months to reduce their prices.
gil

Had seen article about drop in oil price, and noticed cheaper car fuel.

Wondering whether this has fed through into cheaper heating oil, as I need to order some soon.
Nick

Heard that heating oil IS down round here. No major shift on car fuel, tho.
Marionb

This has got me thinking - may be worth ringing for a quote tomorrow - still got about 30% left in the tank yet I think though...
Tavascarow

Just out of curiosity how much is red diesel now?
ros

does anyone else use www.boilerjuice.com for their oil? they have price comparisons and graphs showing 12mo trends. home oil price is dropping, but not as fast as crude. petrol locally is going up slightly at the moment, why s that then?
Penny Outskirts

TAVASCAROW wrote:

Around 75 - 80p a litre around here I think
ros

Penny wrote:
TAVASCAROW wrote:

Around 75 - 80p a litre around here I think

58p/l here according to boilerjuice, (commercial rate)
Shane

The drop in the price of oil has been, to some extent, offset by the drop in the pound against the dollar.
Jb

They will also use the argument that changes in the price of fuel lag changes in the price of crude (not that that works when crude goes up)
Shane

Yes - they do trot that one out. There must be websites out there that track the price of petrol. Should be fairly easy to compare that to the price of oil (in sterling) to see if there is a different time lag applied to rising and falling prices (any volunteers? Laughing ).
Nick

Quote:
Oil price for £1 per litre?

One can see from the graph above that in order for the average price per litre of unleaded to hit £1 the price per barrel of oil needs to be around $80 for 3-4 weeks - given the current level of taxation. When the level of fuel duty increased this October (2007) this threshold decreased to £78 per barrel. Oil is now way above $80 and it is just a matter of time before petrol exceed 100p per litre.

It's worth pointing out that at a more detailed level there will be more discrepancies between the two prices as daily fluctuations in the price per barrel of oil will not always be reflected in the price per litre of petrol due to the large amount of fuel already stored in refineries, depots and forecourts around the country. This fuel 'buffer' can last several weeks.

OK, it's not in dollars, or up to date.
Seedi

Oil prices

HI,

The BBC website tracks the oil price on its business news section - market data:

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/fds/hi/business/market_data/commodities/28696/default.stm

You can see it over the last month, 3 months or 12 months.
Barefoot Andrew

Unleaded around here is currently around 108p/L (at Sains). Not sure how that compares elsewhere.
A.
lottie

Just seen that Morrisons are cutting their pump prices---which is good news----not a huge choice of petrol sellers round here
Penny Outskirts

Barefoot Andrew wrote:
Unleaded around here is currently around 108p/L (at Sains). Not sure how that compares elsewhere.
A.

Unleaded is 118, diesel 125, bloody cotswolds Mad
Treacodactyl

If the recent rescue and market intervention measures calm the markets I guess crude oil will rise in price in the next few weeks.
Treacodactyl

Treacodactyl wrote:
If the recent rescue and market intervention measures calm the markets I guess crude oil will rise in price in the next few weeks.

As predicted, well sort of: Record one-day jump in oil price
Jb

Though some people on the radio this morning were saying that is a result of the fall in dollar value, i.e. as the Fed rescue package is not being seen as significant as the markets had thought on Friday then markets have fallen back yesterday and today, the dollar value has also fallen and the price of oil which is priced in dollars has risen to compensate. The only good thing one can see is that as sterling fell even more than dollars that will take the edge of that price rise.

We will, of course, no doubt have Brown telling us how this is due to global economic conditions whereas Friday's improvement after the federal reserve intervened had him publicly patting himself on the back for his good financial management Rolling Eyes
Shane

It's also due to
a) the Saudis cutting production by half-a-million barrels a day
b) oil traders having to buy up to close deals that they shorted on
c) a switch by some investors to oil stocks as they abandon other more investments perceived to be more risky
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home