Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Brownbear

OK then - who wants to learn to shoot?

OK then - who wants to join the shooting sessions? Shotgun and smallbore rifle, at the top field at Alison's. Rather than 'everyone together' as before, I'd like to arrange people in smaller groups or pairs. Please post below if you're interested and what you would like to do (shotgun, rifle or both).
Fee

Do you mean at the food event, BB?
ros

Me and my eldest would like to learn, eldest has done some air rifle work with the scouts but I haven't held a gun for ~30 yrs, I would have a go at whatever you recommend

you've just reminded me I need to talk to Alison about accomodation
Brownbear

Fee wrote:
Do you mean at the food event, BB?

Yes.
gil

Yes please (for both).
Barefoot Andrew

Count me in. I've shot before quite a few times but never seemed to have any talent for it. Hopefully a fresh start will solve that!
A.
Mrs Fiddlesticks

will you be bringing some air rifles again for the youngsters? Think my eldest might be keen ( what age do they have to be for that?)
mochyn

Me, me, me! (please). And the old chap. Both of us for shotgun, please.
sean

I'll have another go with a shotgun please. I've got to hit something eventually.
Barefoot Andrew

sean wrote:
I've got to hit something eventually.

My thoughts too Very Happy
A.
Fee

I'm pretty sure Happytechie will want to, but I suppose I'll let him speak for himself for once Wink
alison

sean wrote:
I'll have another go with a shotgun please. I've got to hit something eventually.

"You just missed!"

"That was very close!"

Isn't that what BB said last time Laughing

I know he said it to me, although my OH thought I was miles away.
arvo

Yep count me in. Rifle please.

This probably sounds daft, but is there any way to practice at moving targets for rifle shooting or have you just got to practice on clays and transfer the skills?
Silas

arvo wrote:

This probably sounds daft, but is there any way to practice at moving targets for rifle shooting or have you just got to practice on clays and transfer the skills?

Should you be shooting moving targets with a rifle anyway - I don't think so.
tahir

Rifle please
vegplot

Silas wrote:
arvo wrote:

Should you be shooting moving targets with a rifle anyway - I don't think so.

Competitions where moving targets are involved are the only exception I can think of.
Barefoot Andrew

Barefoot Andrew wrote:
Hopefully a fresh start will solve that!
A.

Oops, forgot to say: I'll have a go at both if I may.
A.
Brownbear

There is a 'running boar' target discipline, but it's not a practical one in this country where we tend to stalk deer rather than drive them on to a line of Guns. The Germans are very attached to that sort of shooting, and use 12-bore slugs for it. Not a permitted way of taking deer here, other than for humane destruction.
alison

Can you put Ade down for anything, and Will for a child sized air rifle please.
Brownbear

alison wrote:
Can you put Ade down for anything, and Will for a child sized air rifle please.

I've only got relatively grown-up weapons, but I'll look into what I can scrounge for the day.
alison

Thank you. He would love to have another go, but the shot gun did nearly knock him off his feet, as you know.
Brownbear

alison wrote:
Thank you. He would love to have another go, but the shot gun did nearly knock him off his feet, as you know.

I was impressed that he wanted a second go.
dpack

please book me in the bunnies are giggling at me
whitelegg1

Where? When? I could be very interested......to improve my skills Wink

Pete
Jamanda

whitelegg1 wrote:
Where? When? I could be very interested......to improve my skills Wink

Pete

http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?t=34715

Here and then Very Happy
sean

At The Downsizer Food Weekend.
Gervase

I'll bring an air-rifle, a pile of targets and some smaller-gauge shotguns and cartridges to add to the selection.
Brownbear

Excellent - I hope one or two of our shotgun shooters will be able to do odd turns at the clay trap (if Gent is able to come he has offered to help out), and I want to concentrate on the rifle as far as possible.

I plan a group session on legal issues, techniques and safety on the evening of the first day, and on both days as far as possible to do marksmanship coaching with the .22 Rimfire and .17HMR rifles.
arvo

@BB

What was the name of that really light Czech rifle you had last time?
wellington womble

If I make it to the weekend (which is still in question, as usual) I'd love a go with a shotgun. And to come to sessions on the basics. It's really hard to get a handle on what all the bits are called, and the basic rules - all the information seems to be aimed at people who have been around guns for always)
SmattyB

I'll be there, please book me for the smallbore if there's room.

Ta.

M.
happytechie

is this the right place to say that I'd like to sign up for clays and small bore?
Anders

I would like to have a go at both, - it was great fun last time. I am trying to get time off for the event at the moment.

Anders
Dee J

Hi

My partner, Anita, wants to learn to shoot. Primarily as a control for rabbits and magpies... would that be rifle or shotgun? Anyway, are there likely to be any remaining places on the food weekend in April?

Dee J
sean

Both and yes. PM Jamanda about coming and Alison about accommodation if needed.
resistance is fertile

BB will you be bringing those steyrs?
vegplot

Wanted. Volunteer target holders. Ability to remain upright under adverse circumstances is desirable.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home