Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
judith

Old-fashioned pinnies

You know, the ones that sort of cross over at the front like everyone wore in the fifties.
Does anyone have a pattern or a link to one? I need to make several!
wellington womble

Pic? I know nothing about them, and can't help - I'm just curious!
judith

Imagine Les Dawson and Roy Barraclough doing Cissy and Ada.
I'm trying to find a picture so that I can try and make it up, if necessary.
Bugs

Do you mean this kind of thing?

http://www.thecostumestore.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/TheCostumeStoreOnline/_08-13/90160/Cross%20over%20pinny

I originally thought you meant kind of fifties-housewife aprons which I think I do have destructions for in a magazine, but when you mentioned Les Dawson I thought you meant something more like this, which I don't have, but maybe looking for dinner lady, cleaner, housekeeper type aprons might help?

Edited to add Habithat has lots of "vintage" patterns. Aprons page in case it helps with inspiration:

http://www.habithat.co.uk/index.php/cPath/113
goldy1

basicly a bathrobe without arms.
I cant find a pic anywhere. My mum wore one all the time in the 70's
judith

That's close, but not quite what I can picture in my head. The type I am looking for has a sort of crossover bit at the front on the top half. Almost like a proper pinafore in that you would put it on over your head, rather than tying it round the back.
(Or at least this is what I am picturing, but I could, of course, be making it up).
judith

goldy1 wrote:
basicly a bathrobe without arms.
I cant find a pic anywhere. My mum wore one all the time in the 70's

That's the puppy! Very Happy
Did the crossover part go all the way down to the bottom then?
goldy1

The ones my mum wore had a straight hem which gave a double layer at the front v neck tied round the back i think she called it an overall

frst link in BUGS post is the right one. just the fabric dosent show it up properlly
judith

Hah! Very Happy

As you say, it is basically a bathrobe without sleeves, but ties at the back.
goldy1

Flipin heck she looks like she stepping out of my house. Laughing
judith

Well I hope you donkey-stoned the step this morning. Very Happy
goldy1

Off course i did i do it every day NOT Laughing Rolling Eyes
Jamanda

Re: Old-fashioned pinnies

judith wrote:
I need to make several!

Erm....why? Laughing
judith

goldy1 wrote:
frst link in BUGS post is the right one. just the fabric dosent show it up properlly

Oops. You are absolutely right. The crossover is hidden by the pattern.
Sorry about that Bugs. Embarassed
But 25 quid!!!
judith

Re: Old-fashioned pinnies

Jamanda wrote:
judith wrote:
I need to make several!

Erm....why? Laughing

For a bit of amateur (very amateur!) thespery.
Jamanda

Ah! I suspected as much.
judith

It's that time of year again. Very Happy
sean

Who are you being this year then? (Sorry, that's a terrible sentence, but you know what I mean.)
judith

This year I am Marguerite Grimshaw. It is my 21st birthday (don't laugh) and this time I get the man.
Even though he turns out to be my cousin!
sally_in_wales

I thought those were called housecoats Confused or is that only the ones with sleeves like this one?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-BLUE-CHECK-NYLON-OVERALL-HOUSECOAT-APRON-PINNY_W0QQitemZ110439156614QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Women_s_Vintage_Clothing?hash=item19b6afcb86&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
gorbut

Butterick have a pattern for one. It is pattern 4945 and can be found on the sew essential website. It isn't obvious from the pattern front picture but if you look at the outline drawings it looks like it is what you want.

http://www.sewessential.co.uk/Category.asp?CategoryID=1650&NumPerPage=5&page=1
judith

sally_in_wales wrote:
I thought those were called housecoats Confused or is that only the ones with sleeves like this one?

Ooh. I don't know. You've got me wondering now!
In our house, a housecoat was more like the one you posted, in fact more like a substantial short dressing gown.
judith

gorbut wrote:
Butterick have a pattern for one. It is pattern 4945 and can be found on the sew essential website. It isn't obvious from the pattern front picture but if you look at the outline drawings it looks like it is what you want.

http://www.sewessential.co.uk/Category.asp?CategoryID=1650&NumPerPage=5&page=1

Oh yes, it is just right. I think that will do perfectly. Thank you.
Bodrighy

Are we going to see pictures of the said garment adorning your body?
Will you aso be wearing the head scarf, turban style?
pete
judith

I won't be wearing one - these are for my 'aunties'.
I'll be the one in the net petticoats and roll-on girdle. Laughing
Bodrighy

I look forward to the pictures Laughing Laughing

Pete
judith

Laughing
mochyn

Should this be moved to the what's opn section?

With dates?
judith

Nice try.
mochyn

judith wrote:
Nice try.

Cool And don't think it's the last one.
Bugs

judith wrote:
goldy1 wrote:

Oops. You are absolutely right. The crossover is hidden by the pattern.
Sorry about that Bugs. Embarassed
But 25 quid!!!

Tsk, I know better than to expect to be listened to by now Wink - glad you have found the pattern in the end, there was one on Habithat in one of the "scrubs" patterns that would almost have done but the one Gorbut found is much better.

I second Mochyn's proposal that photos are required though.
Anura

You could just use a basic dress pattern & extend the front beyond the centre to the shape you wanted. The back you would probably need to make a little larger as it would be worn over other clothes. I think they were bound all around the edges with some sort of tape, or bias binding. There would be a hole in the seam of the side which went under to fit the tie.

Have I explained that well enough?
judith

Anura wrote:
You could just use a basic dress pattern & extend the front beyond the centre to the shape you wanted. The back you would probably need to make a little larger as it would be worn over other clothes. I think they were bound all around the edges with some sort of tape, or bias binding. There would be a hole in the seam of the side which went under to fit the tie.

Have I explained that well enough?

Yes, that's very clear. I had a feeling that binding would be needed. It's a chance to use my fancy new bias tape maker thingy at last!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Array Home Array Home Home