Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Hairyloon

Old hard drives.

I have here a pile of old hard drives. The discussion in my head goes something like this:
"It works, so it could be useful as a drive."
"But it is only 5GB, you've got almost that much in RAM: it's more useful as scrap."
"OK, fair point..."

But the winning argument gets less convincing as the drive size goes up, so how big is a drive likely to be to still be considered as useless?
dpack

100g is useful for a domestic linux machine
Hairyloon

100g is useful for a domestic linux machine

I'm pretty sure I had a Linux box running recently on 40GB.
Lloyd

Depends how much stuff you wish or need to recover from it.
Hairyloon

I fear you may be answering the wrong question. Confused
JB

Reliability is the real concern. If a drive is old would you trust it against which is the fact that you can get a new small drive for almost nothing Lloyd

I have an old hard drive which contains priceless phototgraphs of deceased relatives, and which one day I will send away to regain those pix.
Hairyloon

Reliability is the real concern. If a drive is old would you trust it against which is the fact that you can get a new small drive for almost nothing
If it is so old that it doesn't have SMART information, then probably not, and if it does, then that should give a reasonable indication.

I have an old hard drive which contains priceless phototgraphs of deceased relatives, and which one day I will send away to regain those pix.
Since you've brought it up, I think I've just found the drive out of the machine I had 10+ years ago. Seems to be Win 95, but unsurprisingly won't boot and cannot make sense of the files on it. Did they used to do something peculiar, am I missing something obvious, or is it corrupted?
Maybe I already wiped off all the files I thought might be wanted. Confused
Hairyloon

So the next question is: what weird and wonderful things can people think of to do with the insides of an old drive?
I think I've already told you about the gerbil wheel I made out of the motor of one: it was actually too good, it span so freely that the gerbil didn't get enough exercise and got fat. Wink
I have another little project on the go, which I'll show you when it works, the magnets have a number of possibilities, but one thing that has got me stumped is the disks: there has got to be something useful to do with something that shiny. Wink
Possibly wind chimes: they do have a pleasing tinkle when you ding them...
dpack

bird repellant for peas etc? buzzy

So the next question is: what weird and wonderful things can people think of to do with the insides of an old drive?
I think I've already told you about the gerbil wheel I made out of the motor of one: it was actually too good, it span so freely that the gerbil didn't get enough exercise and got fat. Wink
I have another little project on the go, which I'll show you when it works, the magnets have a number of possibilities, but one thing that has got me stumped is the disks: there has got to be something useful to do with something that shiny. Wink
Possibly wind chimes: they do have a pleasing tinkle when you ding them...

Can you not team up with one of our wood turners, and convert them into dinky wood-framed mirrors? Very Happy

Henry
Hairyloon

I had thought about using the as mirrors, but they have a big hole through the middle, and unti just, I hadn't thought about putting one behind to fill the hole. Embarassed buzzy

I had thought about using the as mirrors, but they have a big hole through the middle, and unti just, I hadn't thought about putting one behind to fill the hole. Embarassed

Well, I don't suppose they have to be used a shaving/make-up mirrors, just reflective surfaces to highlight bits of the room decor.

Henry
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home